Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

20/24 pin ATX connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

Had to switch out motherboards and now can't make full connection of everything in my system due to different ATX PSUs.

I'm now using Intel D865GLC mATX motherboard. It has 20 pin main ATX connector.

PSU is PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 860 which has 24 pin ATX (all 1 single plug, not the 20+4 kind).

Can't get the PSU plug to go to the mobo's ATX connector because IDE ports and a capacitor are in the way. With other boards it always worked because of small extra space allowing for the 4 additional pins of the PSU plug to just hang over.

I've had to revert to using an old PSU with 20 pin just for now, but it doesn't have any SATA power connectors. Now I'm not able to use my SATA HDD. So stuck to use an old, slow IDE HDD (40GB, 5400rpm, 2MB buffer). I really rather use my larger and faster SATA drive (250GB, 7200rpm, 16MB buffer).

Isn't there any power supply adapter cables that allows plugging 24 pin cable to 20 pin mobo connector?

I'm only finding adapters that allow plugging 20 pin cable to 24 pin mobo connector. Last time I tried, didn't even need an adapter for that. The 20 pin cable should plug right into a 24 pin connector and still work fine.... right?

Here's what the board looks like. Notice the IDE connector (right of ATX power) which is right against the 20 pin ATX power connector and the small capacitor (left of ATX power) the other side

http://sishardware.com/imgs/a/a/q/h/t/intel_d865glc_motherboard_pn_c32156___406_inv13092610_1_lgw.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

There is an adapter to go from a 4 pin molex to sata.  It would enable you to use your old psu with your newer hard drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=693026&CatId=5447

Edited by straightupwv, 30 April 2014 - 06:17 AM.

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hi

I think this is what you are looking for - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-24-Pin-Female-F-to-20-Male-M-ATX-Power-Adapter-Cable-/370153109015

#4 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

There is an adapter to go from a 4 pin molex to sata.  It would enable you to use your old psu with your newer hard drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=693026&CatId=5447

Thanks, but the old psu is really old. Only 300 watt and been heavily used for about 10 years. I'd rather use the newer one, which, is 860 watts and not as heavily used.

Yes... why that one has to be from Hong Kong? Estimated delivery is over a month! Not worth my time in that case.

#5 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I found this one on UniveralPart.com

http://www.universalpart.com/ATX-Power-Cable-24-Pin-Male-To-20-Pin-Female-ZT1130242_item_4236.html?gclid=CJG-j5O8ib4CFQmDfgod1F4ALA

They claim to have it in stock and ready to ship.

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#6 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Doesn't look like they accept PayPal....

Any other way I can get this to work? I'm pretty sure this IDE drive is failing. Or maybe the PSU is?

I'm not certain, but I was installing OpenSuSE and once it finished and rebooted gave an error saying no OS installed. Resorted to Windows XP Pro and it was working fine for about 2 days. Now it keeps glitching along and freezing up. Already had 4 system crashes (no BSOD), bluescreenview shows that Nvidia driver was the cause.

Task manager shows System Idle Process at 99 but yet at the same time there is 25% CPU use and it shows nothing using any CPU. Not sure if it's the physical core or the Hyper Thread that's in use. Finding it impossible that there's any kind of infection.. running BitDefender and MalwareBytes, scan every day and nothing is ever detected. Can't see how as the OS was just installed 2-3 days ago.

**edit**

Just remembered having this problem before, Windows switched the HDD from UDMA5 to PIO. Guess it does that if there is 6+ recorded CRC errors, maybe something to do with the Nvidia driver crashing. Going to download the latest OpenSuSE .iso and try that again.

Edited by RoutaSielu, 02 May 2014 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users