Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An existing hard drive has disappeared from My Computer and I can't access it

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoeWatson

JoeWatson

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

I have 3 hard drives on my computer

C: System

D; Storage

E: Mainly storage of Backups from Genie Timeline

My D Drive whcich I have been using for a long time has totally disappeared. It also isn't showing in Disc Management.

Can you advise please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Try a System Restore to a point in the past. Go back as far as needed to a time when you remember the D: drive was present. See if the drive has returned.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Check your cables on the affected drive by removing & replugging in, both the power & data ones.

If necessary try a spare cable, something that all computer owners should have onhand, as these can fail over time or due to quality control issues. Should this not work, remove the drive & place it in a USB docking staation, enclosure or USB transfer cable. If none of these are available & you have another computer, try on that one.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 glonner

glonner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Posting under the XP forum and saying you've had it for a long time, you might also consider that it has finally failed you :( However, I'd go with Cat's suggestion and try the cables first. The USB docking station/adapter has also saved me a time or two in the past in retrieving files from a drive that no longer boots.

#5 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

I checked the cables on my 3 drives, unplugged and replugged and at the same time removed all the dust and made sure that everything was firmly fixed. It appears to have done the trick and I have my D drive back.

I haad never heard of aUSB docking station  or USB  transfer cable so I'm going to have to look at thes4e in Google to see what I can find out. Any further info on this would be great especially on how and when to use these.

Many thanks to everyone for your very quick replies and help. This forum is the very best and I don't go anywhere else if I have a problem.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Glad that you got your data drive back!

I haad never heard of aUSB docking station  or USB  transfer cable so I'm going to have to look at thes4e in Google to see what I can find out. Any further info on this would be great especially on how and when to use these.

Docking stations & USB transfer cables are good for all computer owners to have. With a spare drive, one can backup their computer, save data. test drives (what I was suggesting if it came to it), if another OS on a different computer is too infected to run, it can be scanned using another computer, many other uses.

I use my docking station & USB enclosure primarily for backups, but also use it for some of the other reasons stated above.

A USB transfer cable can be used for many of the same things, sometimes SSD's are bundled with one to migrate the OS onto it.

These are basic things that many computer enthusiasts has on hand for when needed, along with spare drives & other tools.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users