Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re: alternatives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

The alternatives thread which is locked says "Any questions or comments related to this topic, please start a new topic in this forum to continue the discussion. ~ Animal

so I am doing that,

The thread is called "With XP ending, what are your alternatives?", and my question/comment is that either the thread should be called "With XP ending, here's one alternative: Ubuntu!" (or something along those lines), or, the thread should actually contain alternatives.  I think it's a fantastic post with great info, but... you see the issue with it.

Unfortunately it's locked so we can't even add more alternatives to make the thread live up to its title

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

As a member, you can always start a new thread of your own. I had thought to create one myself, but with many of the options covered in other threads, decided against it.

Maybe this thread will turn into what you want, so I'll throw out the first option. Linux Mint, for non-PAE users, users are restricted to version 13, however the good news is that it's supported until April 2017.

For those with more recent hardware (PAE enabled CPU's), one can run more recent versions. Linux Mint is the closest drop in replacement for XP that I can think of, followed by Zorin OS. That one has a look changer, can give the XP or 7/Vista Start Menu feel.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

From my perspective as a member...there are only so many alternatives that can occur.  Much of the other rhetoric in such posts...is not designed to be informative in any way, but merely to echo preferences that someone else may have already expressed...but the person wishing to express again is either too lazy to go back and read that or herely wants to add "me, too" to the same sentiment.

This is your topic...this is your chance to carve it into whatever it is that you feel should have been included in the other topic...but wasn't, as far as you know.

Go forth and conquer :).

:Louis

#4 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

I think you guys are kind of missing the point. Personally I didn't like starting this thread, I think it belongs as a reply to that other thread, but I was just following the mod's instructions.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Periodically...threads are locked by the Staff here at BC...for various reasons.

Whatever the reason might be...is immaterial, IMO.  The fact that you think that you have something to contribute...beyond criticism or displeasure with the locking of that particular thread...well, the suggestion to initiate a new topic gives you that opportunity, IMO.  You have lost no opportunity...even the opportunity to merely criticize the closing of a given topic...as far as I can see.

If you have something more to convey than that...concerning the stated subject of the closed topic...this is your opportunity.

You are right...I have missed the point, haven't I?

As for your comment re the content of that topic...well, isn't that up to the members who actually took the time to type out comments, suggestions, etc.?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#6 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

I fail to see what is vague about my OP in this thread; to see what about it would prompt this response. But I must not be communicating myself clearly.

I was invited and instructed to post my comments about the other thread into a new thread, so that's what I did. My goal was to post my comments about the other thread. If my goal was to create my own new thread that I "wished that other thread had been", then I would have just done that.

When I point out that that thread's title is "what are your alternatives" but then the content of the thread doesn't match the title, I find any response other than agreement to be strange and confusing to me. It was a minor comment, and I feel like maybe you guys are making it into a big deal or something? It doesn't seem worth this discussion.  I guess if it was not a sticky, then saying 'If you don't like it make your own thread' would make more sense to me.

As for your comment re the content of that topic...well, isn't that up to the members who actually took the time to type out comments, suggestions, etc.?

First of all, I said that the content of that thread was fantastic and informative. But, yes, I would have simply pm'd him, but he left explicit instructions to start a new thread, not to pm.

Edited by bludshot, 30 April 2014 - 11:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users