Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on upgrading or just starting fresh

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Killface99

Killface99

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

First time poster so thanks in advance for any help.

Around September of 2011 I bought this computer; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229254

I haven't changed anything on it and it has done me good since then. Now I am interested in playing some more recent games, specifically an MMO called ArcheAge. The only other things I really play right now are League of Legends and Diablo 3, which both run at 30+ frames (which is fine with me because that is what I am used to.)

I am ignorant when it comes to computers and want to know if/what I can upgrade to make this computer run more recent games at a decent framerate or if I am better off just chucking this thing in the nearest dumpster and starting fresh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

I guess the answer really depends on what your budget is.  A memory and video card upgrade would probably keep this machine running for a bit longer.  You may need to upgrade the power supply depending on the video card you go with.  Look at the cost of those parts and then see if you would feel more comfortable putting that money towards a new machine.  Any upgrades you do will only get you another year or two, most likely.

You can go to Cruical and run the System Scanner to see how much memory your system will take.  Going from 4GB to 8GB would be a decent increase in performance.  I wouldn't recommend going with more than 8GB.

killerx525 may be able to give you better information regarding your CPU and which video card, these are not one of my strong points as I only research them when I'm purchasing.

Edited by RKilroy, 30 April 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

with a r7 260x or gtx 750ti  (around $150 USD) that machine should be capable of doing some nice frames with recent games if your display size isn't huge.

those cards would be a decent transfer to another mid-range PC in the future also.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 Killface99

Killface99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

with a r7 260x or gtx 750ti  (around $150 USD) that machine should be capable of doing some nice frames with recent games if your display size isn't huge.

those cards would be a decent transfer to another mid-range PC in the future also.

Someone from another forum suggested the 750ti as well. They did mention something about my CPU might be a problem though. How much of an improvement is this 750ti over what I have now? Also, if it's not too much trouble, can you give me a link to a 750ti or its full name so that I can look it up.

Thanks.

*edit*

Would it be possible or worthwhile to upgrade the CPU? I don't even know if that can be done. Also, same question goes for RAM. Should or (and can I) upgrade to 8 gigs or RAM?

Edited by Killface99, 30 April 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

My personal opinion is that if you're looking to upgrade the CPU you probably should be going for a new machine.

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  I'm assuming that you're running Windows 7.  Windows 7 runs with 4GB RAM, but is much more responsive with 8GB.  You'll need to go to Crucial and do the system scan on the machine you're talking about to see how much RAM you can install.  I wasn't able to see anything on the link you provided that would allow me to say for sure if you could upgrade or not.

Here are the 750tis that New Egg sells.

#6 Killface99

Killface99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

My personal opinion is that if you're looking to upgrade the CPU you probably should be going for a new machine.

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  I'm assuming that you're running Windows 7.  Windows 7 runs with 4GB RAM, but is much more responsive with 8GB.  You'll need to go to Crucial and do the system scan on the machine you're talking about to see how much RAM you can install.  I wasn't able to see anything on the link you provided that would allow me to say for sure if you could upgrade or not.

Here are the 750tis that New Egg sells.

Here is the page from Crucial. It looks like upgrading to 8g via 2x 4g is an option.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=817B6A7131D926C3

I was thinking going to 8g would be a good idea.

If I got the 750ti and 8 gigs of RAM for this computer, but later decided to build a new one, these should both be usable in the new one, correct?

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

a 750ti  would be a supreme boost in your graphics performance over a 6450. some games tax the cpu more heavily than others, but a 3.2 ghz dual core is going to keep up just fine with a 750ti or r7 260x.

also, if you can pull up your task manager and monitor your ram usage (commit charge) as you go about your regular puter activities, it should be a nice indicator of what activities are spiking your ram usage so you will know.

#8 Killface99

Killface99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

a 750ti  would be a supreme boost in your graphics performance over a 6450. some games tax the cpu more heavily than others, but a 3.2 ghz dual core is going to keep up just fine with a 750ti or r7 260x.

also, if you can pull up your task manager and monitor your ram usage (commit charge) as you go about your regular puter activities, it should be a nice indicator of what activities are spiking your ram usage so you will know.

Sounds like I should definitely consider the 750 ti then. Now how do I make sure that the 750 ti is compatable with my current rig?

Also, should I choose to get 8 gigs of RAM, any suggestions on brand or links to one at a good price? I have no idea the difference between RAM A and RAM B. I was thinking that if I could get the money together it would be a good idea to upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM because I could take that and put it in a new computer should I choose to build one. Is this a logical train of thought?

Once again I thank you all for the assistance.

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

a 750ti would be compatible with your setup. it delivers sizzling performance with minimal power draw. most models are under 75 watts power rating which makes it ideal for existing setups without having to purchase another power supply for it.. it will slide right into your 16x pci card slot where your 6450 is . Yes, it is a wonderful component that could be used in  a different machine and deliver admirable performance there also.

your RAM is ddr3 1333mhz (10600?) so that would be the specification to check into. i think that is one of those nice mobos  that will accept faster RAM (12800) ~  . you only have two slots though.

if it were my call, i would get the 750ti and get it up and running, and then monitor your ram usage as you go about your functions. if the ram usage is getting close to the max (3.5gb) , then i would worry about upgrading it. it looks like a 8 gb RAM kit is around $100.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT51264BA1339

what happens when RAM gets overflowed is pretty frustrating. your system starts using the hard drive for address space, and it gets really slow.

my i7 system has the 64 bit windows 7 on it, and idles around 1.5gb RAM usage. i have tried like crazy to max out usage and to check for RAM-related blue screens using as many applications in unison as possible, and i have only pegged about 4.5gb usage so the rest is unused.  Therefore, my win7 c2q system only has 4gb in it and it is for everyday common routines and i haven't seen it shoot over 2gb usage. i left it with 4gb DDR2 RAM and haven't looked back. But different games and different systems may use RAM differently.

Edited by synergy513, 30 April 2014 - 11:54 PM.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'll have to disagree.  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  I recommend Crucial, mostly because they make it easy to get the right RAM for your machine.  Understand that when you upgrade your RAM you will have to remove what is currently installed.  So, if you plan on going to 16GB (your choice, but 8GB should be fine) do it now rather than later as you will face the same issue.  I don't know that you will be able to move the RAM over to your new machine.  Part of this depends on when you upgrade, upgrading just so that you can move the RAM wouldn't be my first choice. 

Normally when I build I figure I have to get a new CPU, RAM, and Video card, so the only thing I ever plan on moving are hard drives.  I build every three to five years, with video card and hard drive upgrades in between builds.  In the three to five year window normally the slots and sockets for the CPU, RAM, and video card change making moving my old parts over impossible or not practical.

My machine is currently sitting at 3.89GB of ram used with Outlook, one IE tab, four Firefox tabs, a command prompt, a Windows Explorer window, and task manager.  Running Windows 7 64 bit on an i7.

#11 Killface99

Killface99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

How do I check if a certain RAM will fit in my computer? Will this fit in my current setup? 

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398898377&sr=8-3&keywords=8+gig+ram+corsair

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

you may want to get the speccy app and check your tiiming on the 2 sticks you have already working it is available in the download section here.

RAM upgrade would a little less of an expense if you had the four slots, only having the two slots means the old sticks come out for the new. there goes two ram sticks wasted.

also, faster ram is compatible in slower slots. so the 12800 would work in the 10600 mobo slots which makes the slower slots a bit more desirable.

if the mobo slots were 12800, then 10600 wouldn't function.

the crucial site can scan your mobo also for compatible ram. most users like using that functionality.

whether you have 4gb or 8gb or 32gb. if your system is only using 2.5gb, well, it wouldn't make any difference how much you had.. but most users really like having the extra left over.

upgrading RAM is also a very sensitive task, so many things can go wrong. if what you have already is getting it done, i vote to not mess with it unless you start getting in the danger zone of using most of the ram that is already installed and functional. which is why i suggested monitoring the task manager.

if you really want to invest in a future proof hardware upgrade, the 750ti is what will be most satisfying, followed by the ever so popular solid state hard drive. i think the 120gb samsungs are around $80, and that is something that you will be able to transfer to another PC in the future as well. most users deploy those for their operating system (windows) and also their most used applications, while leaving the regular hard drive for storage.

what i do for my system is have one hard drive just for the OS, and keep it defragged and have it used for nothing else, then have other hard drives for everything else. it works for me, my boot time is minimal, but nothing as blazing fast as a solid state drive.

Edited by synergy513, 01 May 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#13 Killface99

Killface99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

So I checked and my computer was running with a mere 100 MB of unused memory while Arche Age was running.

I ordered these two items.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IB9P1KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will leave an update in a few days when everything is updated and running. Let me know if I have made some grave error and my house is going to explode.

#14 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

excellent. at least you found out that more ram is needed. those are some nice pieces of hardware and i am sure you will be pleased, keep us posted how everything goes.

edit:

that is the 750ti version that requires a 6 pin pci-e connection off of the power supply. most power supplies over 400 watts will have one if it doesn't, you will need an inexpensive molex to 6 pin adapter cable. it looks like it is barely over the 75 watt threshold.

Edited by synergy513, 01 May 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#15 Killface99

Killface99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

excellent. at least you found out that more ram is needed. those are some nice pieces of hardware and i am sure you will be pleased, keep us posted how everything goes.

edit:

that is the 750ti version that requires a 6 pin pci-e connection off of the power supply. most power supplies over 400 watts will have one if it doesn't, you will need an inexpensive molex to 6 pin adapter cable. it looks like it is barely over the 75 watt threshold.

I won't know until I crack open my case in a couple days if I need it or not, but can you link the adapter you're talking about? Or perhaps recommend a power supply if I end up needing a whole new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users