Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop optical drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Looks like I may have just lost the optical drive in my laptop.  Was burning music files to a CD and now the drive will not recognize there is a disk inserted.  Thinking the LED/Laser diode may have self-destructed.

Any troubleshooting suggestions welcome.

This is an Acer Aspire 5750-6414.  Device drivers tell me the DVD drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTD11RS.  If I end up needing to replace the drive;  Have these things become generic, or do I need to get an exact replacement from Acer?

Edited by ddeerrff, 30 April 2014 - 06:43 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

They aren't generic. If you don't mind it, I think your best bet is an external dvd burner.

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Found a new one online at Ascendtech.  Should be an exact replacement and only set me back $18.00.  Crossing my fingers that it solves my problem. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Well, the new drive did not solve the problem.  Still does not see the disk.

Looks like I am back to looking for a software issue of (please no!) a motherboard problem. 

When I put a disk in the drive, I can hear the laser come off the stops and the disk spin up at slow speed.  Then it sounds like it is searching, but never finds the disk. 

Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers did not help.  Device manager says the device is working properly. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

See if the Microsoft Fixit will help.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi

There is an easy way to determine whether the issue is hardware or software related. Download and burn a small sized live Linux from another machine and try to boot your machine with it. If the system refuse to boot from CD, you are dealing with a hardware issue here.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 May 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  But, Fixit did not fix it.  Will not boot to a bootable DVD.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hardware problem then. You could still use an external USB dvd drive as a work-around. I realize that's not the same thing as fixing it but it may be your only option.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

May be my only option.  I now have two Pioneer DVR-TD11RS drives.  Just ordered a slimSATA to USB adapter cable.  Will see if I can get either/both of these drives to work externally. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

Would be funny if you like drilled a hole in there and put the drive into the machine and had the usb wire coming out to the port lol.

#11 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Well in the end it turned out to be a bad drive.

First replacement unit didn't work, in fact after running it from the SlimSATA/USB adapter cable, found it wasn't spinning up at all.  Sent that one back to the vendor and ordered another one from a different source.

The second replacement didn't work.  It made lots of noise (head movement noise, not rotational noise) and when ejecting, the head didn't look like it was properly parked.  *Almost* sent that one back too.  Manually moved the head carriage back and forth over the full range and tried it again.  EUREKA!

Now the first one I sent back may get me a spare replacement.  And in the excitement, I ordered a third one.  So I may end up with two spares.  Good thing none of them cost me more than $18.00.  Maybe I'll have to sell them on ebay.....

Derfram
~~~~~~

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

It never hurts to have spares...a spare CMOS battery, a spare hard drive, a spare optical drive...IMO :).

Those seem to be the items which are most likely to cause a stoppage and which can easily be switched out, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users