Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply- Is mine enough for Crossfire?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

I have a 750w FSP Group power supply. FSP Group is like LiteOn in the sense that OEM's use them alot. Unlike LiteOn they actually make semi quality stuff and just seem to only cut back on looks and other minor things for cost.

Later this year I'll try to add in another AMD HD7950 after I upgrade my CPU/board. I need to know if it can handle it seeing as the recommend PSU for a 7950 Crossfire is 750w and givin the amount of paraphernalia I have it might be pushing it.

Specs of the upgraded system I hope the PSU will handle.

i5-4670k @ 4GHz

2- Gigabyte 7950's @ 1GHz

4- 2GB 1333 RAM sticks

2- 2.5" SATA HDD's 5400rpm

2- 2.5" SSD's

3- 3.5" SATA HDD's 7500rpm

1- 3.5" IDE HDD 7500rpm

1-Blueray Reader/ everything else reader/writer

1-PCIe x1 SATA/IDE raid card

4- 120mm 1200RPM 3pin case fans.

8- Various USB paraphernalia

The PSU has been in use for about 4 months. Found it sitting in a box after 2 years in a spare room- someone had bought a OEM pc and replaced this PSU with a 1000w after 6 months of use. (no defects, just needed a bigger one). Not sure how all that will effect capicitor aging.

I think I should note that all of the connectors are used up except for a dual 6 pin cable (I have a 8 pin adapter). The current GPU dosen't use a adapter as it also has a 8/6 pin dual cable.

Picture of PSU label.

WP_000303_zps8742216a.jpg

I know there are calcs for this. This just seems to close for comfort for me to trust one with poltentialy frying my system.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

I wouldn't do it. The advertised wattage of a PSU  ("750 watts") isn't the only consideration. Apparently good quality 750 watt PSU's put out more power, better power, than cheapo units (like when you test each plug with voltmeters or whatever). I don't know the exact terminology behind it but you can read up on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users