Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Point free Anti Virus, any info?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

If you install Zone Alarm's free Firewall, this is the free AV software that is offered with it. Even if you don't install it immediately, it can be easily installed from the Zone Alarm status screen that tells you about your Firewall's status.

I know their AV was contracted from Kaspersky, and that I haven't been infected since I un-installed AVG and opted for this (I wasn't being infected while running AVG either though). 

Does anyone know more?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Check Point Launches ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall
Check Point releases ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

ZA, like just about every other free program these days, bundles adware. It may or may not offer the chance to

refuse the install of the adware. I see both possibilities discussed on the web.

Suggest you run a scan using the program below if you have ZA installed. It's a good idea to run it occassionally anyway

especially after installing a new program or browser add-on.

I have no experience with the antivirus but have used the ZA firewall for many years in Windows OSes. No complaints.

download AdwCleaner Download onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply if it finds adware
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for info.

from 2nd article quietman7 linked to:

It seemed to have more of an impact on performance than average, for instance. And memory use is relatively high (the TrueVector service, vsmon.exe,

I've noticed that if you are running a torrent client, vsmon.exe consumes all of your processing power, as if it is scrutinizing each incoming bit for malware. If I used torrents often it would be really annoying, but I hardly ever use my torrent client. Otherwise, it seems to be about as resource intensive as AVG. 

I don't know if it installed any adware. I know I've run MBAM since I installed it- probably multiple times. I also know I found a piece of adware like two weeks ago, but I attributed it to a different program (a Linux installation program called Unetbootin). I could be mistaken though. Zone alarm does make pop-up ads for it's pay versions every once in a while, but it's only about 1 or 2 pop-ups a week.

I'll run adware cleaner tonight. I'm watching NBA playoffs right now in a different browser window.

Edited by yu gnomi, 29 April 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

Adware cleaner did find some stuff- mostly just registry entries. MBAM probably already got the adware. 

Couldn't tell where it came from though, might have been from Check Point might have been from something else.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

Many programs, toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions come bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet (often without the knowledge or consent of the user) as a common practice by legitimate vendors. In some cases, they may be included in Installers or Downloaders found at hosting sites such as CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows.

Even Anti-virus and security vendors bundle toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads and is typically the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything on the screen before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button. Even then, in some cases, this opting out does not always seem to work as intended.

* avast! Free Antivirus includes Google Chrome pre-checked by default during installation
* Avira Free Antivirus includes Ask.com Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition includes AVG Security Toolbar - AVG Secure Search pre-checked by default during installation
* Panda Cloud AV includes Yahoo Search Assistant pre-checked by default during installation
* SUPERAntiSpyware includes Google Chrome pre-checked by default during installation
* Ad-Aware includes Google Chrome pre-checked by default during installation

Calendar Of Updates maintains a more comprehensive list of software bundled with unwanted add-ons called the:
Installers Hall of Shame.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users