Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe+75b80

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgeyhogg

Hedgeyhogg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here and hope somebody can help: am at my wits end with a BSOD error code 124. This error occurs specifically (and unerringly) whenever I apply Twixtor to a clip in either After Effects or Premiere Pro, and then scrub through the clip.

My specs are: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Motherboard ASRock n68c- s ucc

CPU:             AMD Phenom 11 X4 850

Graphics:      ATI  Radeon HD 5450 (2 gigs)

RAM:            2x4gb DDR3

500W power unit

So far I've run a disk check and a memory check for errors, made sure Windows is updated, Updated BIOS, tried two other graphics cards (Nvidia Geforce6 series and Radeon HD 5570) opened up case and placed a whopping great fan next to it to try and help with temp. In addition I've run Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, TDSS Killer, and RegcurePro. 

I've also made sure my drivers are up to date.

Note: my CPU was overclocked from 3.3ghz to 3.4, but one of the first things I did was to bring that back down to its original setting.

BlueScreenView is telling me the problem lies at : ntoskrnl.exe+75b80.

I've zipped up a MiniDump report and attached it to the post, if I've done something incorrectly there, please let me know as I'm new to this.

Short of thrashing my pc with a willow branch, I'm stuck for answers, can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Attached File  042914-28328-01 (1).zip   33.32KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Welcome,

Nothing positive, just some observations.

The power supply might be a bit light for the load you're trying to put on it. Otherwise I see nothing that stands out as a problem or source of your trouble.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

It looks like it's hardware related. Follow this link and post a speccy report. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792 As mentioned it could be a weak power supply. Many PSU claim to be 500Watt and actually only deliver 400Watt and puke out at full load generating these kinds of BSOD's.

#4 Hedgeyhogg

Hedgeyhogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

Willdo, ok thanks.

#5 Hedgeyhogg

Hedgeyhogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VTE1OVyKvgFFNgjGArYwIdR

Here's the speccy report. Just a thought: would lowering the voltage on the cpu perhaps help? It's set at 1.4v currently, which from what I've read is the upper end of the range for this processor. I don't want to mess with that unless it's safe to do so, however.

Edited by Hedgeyhogg, 30 April 2014 - 04:00 AM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

If you didn't raise it I wouldn't lower it. How old are the components?

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 Hedgeyhogg

Hedgeyhogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Well the pc was bought over ebay as a new custom build just a month or so back, but the case is clearly quite old. As to the age of the components, I couldnt say. Certainly the power unit and fan / heat sink looked spanking brand new. The radeon HD 5450 I put in myself and was bought new about three years back. The RAM was used and again from ebay. 

I'm not in a position to get another power unit at the moment, but when I am I'll give it a try and get back here with the results.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Hi,

Understand your situation. Try to keep the stress level low, for both you and the computer, until you can get some replacement parts. With all of the values at 'default' we can only hope that it will hold together until you can upgrade. My first guess would be the RAM. Make sure it's what your motherboard likes. After that a larger power supply would make me more comfortable. Possible a 750 watt. A bit oversized but it won't have to strain to do the job.

Til next time

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

As far as hardware goes. Your cpu specs and voltage is spot on. However, your memory is down clocked and should be at 1333. Temps look really good. I do see a potential problem the magiciso virtual cdrom. This is known to be extremely buggy in windows 7 and I highly recomend you remove it and use some other virtual cdrom software. Isomagic has not been updated since 2010. Every computer that I come across that has it has had issues. Slysoft has dvd cloning software etc they do however offer a completely free clone drive. http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

#10 Hedgeyhogg

Hedgeyhogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the heads-up with regard to the memory. I'd swapped out the 2x2gb of ddr2 that originally came with the pc, but neglected to tell the mobo. Went into BIOS and sorted that out now. have also removed magiciso. Pc is now much more responsive. Still getting the same crash error with Twixtor but actually getting as far as mid-render before it bluescreens, so a bit nearer to sorting but not there yet.

I have another 500w psu from my old pc, and I've thought about installing it to give it a try out. Again it's a bit light for the job, as has been pointed out on this thread, but it's a different make so perhaps it's of better quality, anything's worth a try.

My old pc was running an AMD sempron with 1x4gb of ddr2 and Windows XP 32 bit and it was coping with Twixtor (albeit very slowly)

Will update if have any luck. 

#11 Hedgeyhogg

Hedgeyhogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hi, thought I'd update here with some positive news. After running Memtest overnight and still coming up with nothing, I was able to borrow an AMD Phenom 11 x4 960T, and I'm pleased to say that the BSOD has been resolved. 

Does anybody here have a theory as to why the 850 was causing problems?

Thanks to Technonymous and Dicke for their help :)

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi,

You're welcome.

If you can get another 850, for test purposes, you can determine if it is the 850 or just your first CPU. I'd expect the new 850 to work well.

Imperfect people build imperfect machines which make imperfect products. Not a theory, just a fact.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Well sometimes just remounting things can resolve problems. Loose connections. The cpu could of had some thermal goo shorting things out in there. It could be a number of things. Not to hex you, but It could just be that the BSOD hasn't yet reared it's ugly head yet. LOL In all seriousness though system's with quad cpu's and dedicated cards I put a minimum 700 watts in them. Stick with good brand named ones that people tend to flock to. Corsair, OCZ etc. Jonnyguru.com is a good place to find info on PSU that have been bench tested. You got to be careful buying a PSU. Brand names aren't everything every company is going to have a bad batch of electronics. However, you can find one's that aren't notoriously cheap. I have seen them all go bad so the tip there is to RESEARCH.

Edited by technonymous, 05 May 2014 - 11:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users