Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried to upgrade, Windows will not start

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 roadrash03

roadrash03

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

Ok...where to start...So around February I think, my audio suddenly went out on my and YouTube videos stopped working. I came on the boards to figure out what the problem was but ultimately figured that the sound card on the motherboard went out. It had been 4-5 years since I built the computer so figured it was time to upgrade.

I kept everything the same except for the motherboard and processor. Switched the Gigabyte 770TA-UD3 to the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 and then my AMD processor (can't remember the model off the top of my head but it was a member of the black family) to the AMD FX processor black edition. It's the FX 4300 4-core with 3.8GHz 8.0 MB.

So, I switched those pieces out and when I tried to start up, it tells me that Windows failed to start and tries to run a startup repair. I don't know what the hell happened. So, I figured while I was trying to figure out what was wrong, I would just put all the old pieces back in since I could at least use the computer without sound. Well, when I did that, I got the same exact problem. I have no idea where to go or what to do. I have looked over the manual over and over again to see if I didn't plug anything in right but everything looks right to me.

Does anyone have any advice or can help me out? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

I think what happend is that your version of windows was configured to communicate with your old bios, that is on your old motherboard. Exactly what happened when you started up, I'm not sure, but it apparently screwed up the configuration, so now neither of your motherboards can communicate with your OS. 

You probably need to either do a repair installation of Windows, or a complete re-installation. I'm not sure exactly what problems a repair installation can handle. Hopefully you have a Windows disk. Make sure your new motherboard is installed when you do it.

Edited by yu gnomi, 29 April 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Here's a walk through for Windows 7, I'm not sure if that's your OS or not.

http://www.dowdandassociates.com/blog/content/howto-repair-windows-7-install-after-replacing-motherboard/

#4 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

I think what happend is that your version of windows was configured to communicate with your old bios, that is on your old motherboard. Exactly what happened when you started up, I'm not sure, but it apparently screwed up the configuration, so now neither of your motherboards can communicate with your OS. 

You probably need to either do a repair installation of Windows, or a complete re-installation. I'm not sure exactly what problems a repair installation can handle. Hopefully you have a Windows disk. Make sure your new motherboard is installed when you do it.

Oh ok. Yes, Windows 7 is what I was running. What happens is the little swirling lights show up when your system boots up saying Windows is loading but a split second in, the screen flashes blue and then goes completely black. When the screen comes back up, it's at the "Windows failed to start" black screen and says to either "start normally" again or run the startup repair. Nothing happens though when the startup repair runs. It can't find a solution but I would assume that be correct if your theory is correct.

I do have a Windows 7 disk so I guess I'll try to run that.

#5 pckp

pckp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

It may be a UEFI thing. I would recommend pressing ESC or F1 when you start, and look for an option called legacy mode (its usually in startup options). Can you supply the motherboard model and version of windows you are running?

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

@ roadrash03

Best of luck. 

Edited by yu gnomi, 29 April 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#7 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

It may be a UEFI thing. I would recommend pressing ESC or F1 when you start, and look for an option called legacy mode (its usually in startup options). Can you supply the motherboard model and version of windows you are running?

The new motherboard model I am using is M5A99FX Pro R2.0 and the version of windows I'm running is Windows 7. The version of Windows I'm running on this old computer while I'm trying to fix my other computer is Windows Vista.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

I really do not know if you can do a repair installation with a different version of Windows. I would guess that you can't, but I don't know if trying can screw things up any worse than they already are.

Do you have a Vista disk?

#9 pckp

pckp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

UEFI is a replacement for BIOS. It allows the system to recognise more devices at startup, before the OS loads. One Of the caveats is that it requires a hidden partition that holds UEFI related information in order to boot from your hard drive. This can usually be turned off in the UEFI setup screen. I haven't  worked on a lot of computers with this feature, but I've had some success by turning off the requirement for that partition in the UEFI configuration screen.

This can be accomplished by hitting F1 or ESC and browsing through the setup screen for a legacy startup option or something similar. Also, while you're at it, check your jumper setting on the back of your hard drives. Are they both set correctly, one to master and one to slave?

If this doesn't help you you can download a free  vista repair disk image from microsoft here  http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2008/01/26/no-vista-installation-cd-you-can-still-download-a-vista-recover/. Here's one for windows 7 http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso . and here are instructions for how to burn these disk images to a cd or dvd http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977640/en-us  I hope you find this usefull, and not too confusing.

Edited by pckp, 29 April 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#10 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

@ roadrash03

I may have misread your last post. If Windows 7 is what was on the system you replaced the motherboard on, then just forget what I said in my last post.

I got the impression you were trying to change your OS from Vista to 7 in addition to doing a repair install.

#11 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

I really do not know if you can do a repair installation with a different version of Windows. I would guess that you can't, but I don't know if trying can screw things up any worse than they already are.

Do you have a Vista disk?

I do not have a Vista disk. This computer is so old I have no idea where the original disk is at.

Ok sooooo...I tried to follow the steps of that link you posted. It didn't really follow along like the instructions stated. There were definitely some differences. On this computer, I downloaded the SATA drivers and threw them on a flash drive like it said. I then took it over to the broken computer and ran the Windows 7 disk and went to the "repair your computer" link. This is where it changed. It did scan my computer and found Windows 7. However, when I tried to use that and proceed with it, the message "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows." It doesn't give me an option to say "no" like the instructions say. However, I am given an option to "load driver". I inserted my flash drive to pull up the SATA drivers I put on it. When going through the folder it gave me the option of RAID and AHCI. I didn't know what to do. I clicked on AHCI and it only had XP and Vista listed. I backed out and went into the RAID folder and it had Windows 7 and 8 and a couple other options. I selected Windows 7 and it had 4 things listed that all said the same thing. Some kind of driver. I clicked to load just one of the drivers but when I did, nothing happened.

Now I'm kind of stuck

#12 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

Is your Windows 7 disk SP1, or does it not have SP1?

If not, pckp posted a link to d/l a SP1 disk image. Burn it to a disc and re-attempt the repair install with it.

#13 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

UEFI is a replacement for BIOS. It allows the system to recognise more devices at startup, before the OS loads. One Of the caveats is that it requires a hidden partition that holds UEFI related information in order to boot from your hard drive. This can usually be turned off in the UEFI setup screen. I haven't  worked on a lot of computers with this feature, but I've had some success by turning off the requirement for that partition in the UEFI configuration screen.

This can be accomplished by hitting F1 or ESC and browsing through the setup screen for a legacy startup option or something similar. Also, while you're at it, check your jumper setting on the back of your hard drives. Are they both set correctly, one to master and one to slave?

If this doesn't help you you can download a free  vista repair disk image from microsoft here  http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2008/01/26/no-vista-installation-cd-you-can-still-download-a-vista-recover/. Here's one for windows 7 http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso . and here are instructions for how to burn these disk images to a cd or dvd http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977640/en-us  I hope you find this usefull, and not too confusing.

My new motherboard does run off the UEFI BIOS system. Just saw that.

Ok, so when I go into the advanced settings under the UEFI BIOS, I go to the "boot" tab. There I see a sub tab that is for CSM or Compatibility Support Module. There I have a couple things:

Launch CSM                                                           Enabled

Boot Device Control                                                UEFI and Legacy OpROM

Boot from Network Devices                                      Legacy OpROM first

Boot from Storage Devices                                     Legacy OpROM first

Boot from PCIe/PCI Expansion Devices                  Legacy OpROM first

The things I wrote above are the setting for each one listed. I'm assuming this is the "legacy" think you are talking about?

#14 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Is your Windows 7 disk SP1, or does it not have SP1?

If not, pckp posted a link to d/l a SP1 disk image. Burn it to a disc and re-attempt the repair install with it.

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what that means. The disk I have for Windows 7 is actually a burned copy that I have. It's not the original copy because I was afraid I would lose it and sure enough I did. The computer I am working on does not have a burn feature so I do not believe that I would be able to get the SP1 disk you are referring to. I'm on a laptop right now. I real old laptop.

Edited by roadrash03, 29 April 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#15 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

the "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows." message, could be because your OS got upgraded to SP1 via automatic updates, while your disc is plain old Windows 7. Thus they are different versions.

This UEFI stuff could solve your problems, but I know jack about it. I would suggest you cruise around Windows 7 forums, but check back every once in a while to see if pckp (or someone else) can fill you in. This link might or might not help- far beyond my knowledge at this point and can't guarantee anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/248241-repair-windows-7-boot-menu-uefi.html

Edited by yu gnomi, 29 April 2014 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users