Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stuck in black screen with mouse pointer, repair won't fit, safe mode won't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jason B

Jason B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

When booting, pc goes to black screen with mouse pointer. Same with every safe mode. Same with last known good configuration. Tried to get built-in repair to work, it tries, but fails. I did habe 3 system restore point before this issue, and when I try to choose that option, it says there are none! (When I had my last pc on xp, there was this disc called, "Roadstarter boot cd". I could use that to start ANY windows machine, no matter what was wrong. It was awesome. This cd is too old and doesn't support windows 7)
Is there something like this for windows 7 I can look for?

In the meantime, I used another windows 7 pc to burn a repair cd instead of using the repair tool buit into the bad pc, since it didn't work,  but same issue doing it form the CD, but this one lets me get to dos.

After all this, I followed instructions here for "Method 2"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/102552-built-administrator-enable-winre.html
After I did the above, instead of getting the black screen after booting and the mouse pointer, I now get a blue screen that says, c00002e3, security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: device attached to system is no functioning.
error status: 0xc0000001

I also ran rkill a few days earlier, FRST/Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, combo fix, SuperAntiSpyware, etc. and computer was fine and rebooted perfect everytime before any issues started. Now, I know some of those programs backup the registry. I'm pretty sure if I can restore the registry files it will work. WHo can help with this?

For ex, FRST - Farbar recovery tool, I was able to get into the folder for it labled, HIVES, and there are 4-5 files in there, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM, DEFAULT, etc. I'm not sure what to do next, but if I restore those when things were good, it may fix? DO I just import those into registry?

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2014 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

FRST is a tool used for malware situations...it is not used in this forum.

If you know/suspect that your problems are due to malware...you need to post your FRST log data into a new topic which you will initiate in the forum containing Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html .  If you can, follow Steps 6-8 of the Guide, pasting your DDS log into your new topic in that forum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Now that you have posted here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532731/stuck-in-black-screen-with-mouse-pointer-repair-wont-fit-safe-mode-wont-work/ in Malware Removal Logs forum, this topic is closed in order to avoid confusion.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

This topic has been unlocked at the request of Jason B. He also requested the malware logs topic be locked.

#5 Jason B

Jason B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

FRST is a tool used for malware situations...it is not used in this forum.

If you know/suspect that your problems are due to malware...you need to post your FRST log data into a new topic which you will initiate in the forum containing Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html .  If you can, follow Steps 6-8 of the Guide, pasting your DDS log into your new topic in that forum.

Louis

Thanks, but I can't boot the pc, I get black screen after windows logo. And DDS won't run from a command prompt from a usb stick on the computer in question. I just tried it, and it looks like it must be run on a bootable pc. I don't know what to do,

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Does the PC boot a live distro USB or CD?

Edited by ElfBane, 30 April 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

I used another windows 7 pc to burn a repair cd instead of using the repair tool buit into the bad pc

I also ran rkill a few days earlier, FRST/Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, combo fix, SuperAntiSpyware, etc. and computer was fine and rebooted perfect everytime before any issues started. Now, I know some of those programs backup the registry. I'm pretty sure if I can restore the registry files it will work. WHo can help with this?

For ex, FRST - Farbar recovery tool, I was able to get into the folder for it labled, HIVES, and there are 4-5 files in there, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM, DEFAULT, etc. I'm not sure what to do next, but if I restore those when things were good, it may fix? DO I just import those into registry?

Let's start with basic questions.

What repair CD did you use? Where did you get it from?

Please clarify one point: Did the issues start after you ran the various tools you mentioned?

If they did begin after running them, why did you decide to use them? What we really need to know is WHY you ran Combofix.

How long was it between the time you ran the tools and issues started?

Did you suspect your system was infected? Were there other issues not related to malware/suspected malware which led you to use them?

What is the manufacterer/model number of your computer?

edit to add: I did a bit of research and found out what your error message refers. The article is for Windows XP but the error cause applies to Windows 7. The solutions are for Windows XP systems.

This issue may occur if the Security Accounts Manager file (SAM) is corrupted or missing.

To resolve this issue, either restore or replace the SAM file.

Note You cannot use the repair process or the recovery console to resolve this issue. These methods require authentication, which cannot occur if the SAM file is corrupted or missing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316751

Having posted that, you can certainly try to restore the registry.

If all else fails, the drastic solution is to reinstall Windows 7.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 April 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#8 Jason B

Jason B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Does the PC boot a live distro USB or CD?

What's a distro? I can boot the repair cd from windows, and get into a usb drive from the command portion of the repair tool via dos,

Let's start with basic questions.

Please clarify one point: Did the issues start after you ran the various tools you mentioned?

If they did begin after running them, why did you decide to use them? What we really need to know is WHY you ran Combofix.

Did you suspect your system was infected? Were there other issues not related to malware/suspected malware which led you to use them?

What is the manufacterer/model number of your computer?

Yes, but everything was fixed and working fine, until a windows update started and sfc scan aborted I think.
The original issue I had was, after streaming a movie to my tv, the computer when reboot afterwards.. SO, I ran some of the tools to see if that problem could be fixed. Tools ran, etc. and it was fine. But I'm blaming it on maybe windows updated or the scan that was aborted. I ran combfix because I've run it before and it's always fixed everything, every time.

hp, p6837c. I don't want to run a full restore.

I have same issue as this guy,

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/978997-windows-7-virus.html

HKEY_local machine/software/microsoft/WindowsNT/Currentversion/winlogon/shell SHOULD have a value of "explorer.exe"

BUT has "cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe"

I edit this bad value back to "explorer.exe" attempt a re-boot and the bad value for Shell is still there.

I don't want to give up!!

Edited by Jason B, 30 April 2014 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users