Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox maintenance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

My son has a Vista computer and uses Mozilla Firefox 28.0

The computer needs plenty of maintenace but I need some advice to ensure Firefox is well maitained

Does Firefox keep up with Microsoft's Windows Updates & how do I find out whether or not his computer is ok on that?

I also saw he has Mozilla Maintenance Service in his uninstall list

How is this to be used?

I'm visiting for just a few days and have only a few hours available tomorrow to clean out his computer as best as possible

He uses AVG Internet Security 2013

Windows Defender is included in his startups

Since he uses AVG Internet Security 2013, I should I remove Windows Defender?

He has Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_15 & Java 7 Update 55

I can't tell whether or not he needs Java, but I want to consider uninstalling Jave & Java 2 Runtime Environment

--- Does that make sense?

--- I figure if he needs Java it will be brought to his attention when applicable

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Mozilla has released version 29 today... I'd recommend the update and just leave the Maintenace software to be dealt with by the update.

Personally I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and don't bother with the AVG. If the AVG is paid for then I'd use it. I've been virus free for years with only using MSE.
It's Malware that I usually have to deal with with others computers and they typically download it and install it themselves unknowingly. Pay for Malware Bytes if you are concerned and don't want to clean things up all the time.

I go ahead and keep Java updated but will be glad to see it go down the road.

Kevin

Edited by kdnoel, 29 April 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Kevin thanks for your feedback. it's as if you are reading my mind other than I'm considering uninstalling Java although not Java 2 Runtime Environment until I find out whether or not it's a good idea

#4 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Larry

Sadly Java is stll out there on many devices and sites... if you do uninstall you'll be reminded to download and install when it is needed.

Glad I could be of help!

Kevin

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Since I don't use Mozilla Firefox, I cannot see how to update to Version 29

--- In my mind, if Mozilla Firefox doesn't present the opportunity to update to its latest version, I'll just wait it out

My son will probaly have to do it himself

I haven't uninstalled Java as I was planning to do

--- I noticed a Java Web Start shorcut on the desktop and I do not know whether or not it's needed but I won't be around to evaluate the effects of what I'm doing on his computer

I've done some maintenance & security runs and the computer is running much faster & efficiently right now

#6 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

To update Firefox just go to About and it will download and ask to perform the update.

Kevin

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Thanks. Done & in good order

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

I checked out Firefox Health Report and it includes a Last Crash on 3/24/14.

--- Is there a way to find out what that was?

#9 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

I'm not sure as old as it is... usually when it occurs you have an opputunity to review the error before it is transmitted.

Most of the time when one of these errors are sent in it is dealt with and if necessary corrected in the next update.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

I believe I have raed some posts on how to access crash dumps or whatever they are called

--- I'll do some reasearch on that for my purposes

--- Most people I help won't bother giving me the time to get that info but if I can find a "quick" way to do so I'll do them when applicable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users