Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update to 8.1 / Have to use Microsoft Acct

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eric0668

eric0668

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

I had a link for email from a desktop site to Mail in the Tiles site.

It said I had to log onto my Microsoft acct. Well, because I have someone here not even as skilled as myself (not much) I haven't used that account so he doesn't have to enter my password every time. (Is there a way to be on that account but not use the log on pswd when restarting or logging in)

I don't only recall, I know I never used a password except the account itself in the App. Did the 8.1 update make you use the Microsoft account

If so that is all I need to know so I don't go crazy. I guess the option is always there to use the app(s) that you need to sign in for and sign out when done.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

When I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (actually a nuke and pave, and a fresh install), from a boxed copy, Windows 8.1 tried the same thing with me (requiring a Microsoft Account).  HERE IS THE RESOLUTION.  During the install, disconnect from the Internet Completely (Disable wireless and unplug the Ethernet cord) -- not the download, just when the install starts.  Leave it this way, until you get the Windows 8.1 Start Screen.  Then you can enable the wireless, and (if appropriate), plug in the Ethernet cable.

#3 eric0668

eric0668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

I don't want to do a whole reinstall again I can't go back from 8.1 I would have to reinstall the whole system right

I have no problem using a point one without a password that lets me anything on desktop mode and most apps on the title page but now the email page I cannot

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

I had a link for email from a desktop site to Mail in the Tiles site.

It said I had to log onto my Microsoft acct. Well, because I have someone here not even as skilled as myself (not much) I haven't used that account so he doesn't have to enter my password every time. (Is there a way to be on that account but not use the log on pswd when restarting or logging in)

I don't only recall, I know I never used a password except the account itself in the App. Did the 8.1 update make you use the Microsoft account

For OEM versions of Windows 8 you have to use a Microsoft Account to update to 8.1.

If so that is all I need to know so I don't go crazy. I guess the option is always there to use the app(s) that you need to sign in for and sign out when done.

Thank You

In windows 8.1 they change things to force the user to use a Microsoft Account but it's still possible to use a local account if you choose Create a new Microsoft account and on the next step you will see a link to skip and continue with a local account.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 eric0668

eric0668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thank You

#6 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

For OEM versions of Windows 8 you have to use a Microsoft Account to update to 8.1.

You sure about that? I just got a refurb Asus PC loaded with Windows 8. Created a local account and was able to get the 8.1 update from the Store without using a Microsoft Account.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

You sure about that? I just got a refurb Asus PC loaded with Windows 8. Created a local account and was able to get the 8.1 update from the Store without using a Microsoft Account.

Well this is something online so Microsoft can change the "rules" whenever they want. When I tried that on the past it doesn't allow me without an account and the same to install other apps from the store.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

Well this is something online so Microsoft can change the "rules" whenever they want. When I tried that on the past it doesn't allow me without an account and the same to install other apps from the store.

Yeah I can't install apps from the store, such as Netflix, without logging into my account (in the Store that is, I can still use a local-only account for Windows itself). But the 8.1 Update seems accessible without logging into the store.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

I believe these were the instructions I used.  My problem with using the Microsoft account is that my Microsoft password is 16 characters of garbage that LastPass came up with and there was no way I was going to be learning that to log into my machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users