Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shuts down

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

I have a HP desktop that just shuts down periodically for no reason? what would cause this? I am running windows xp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Bad power supply, overheating, many other things. I recommend dusting the computer out as a first step. Open the case and blow the dust out with air, do not touch any of the components.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

The PSU is the first place to start, as if it's bad, it'll cause other hardware tests to fail when it crashes.

Bad PSU's can also destroy fairly much the whole computer, so can overheating. These "periodic" crashes will rapidly grow to daily ones if not corrected, to the point of the final one, from which there may be a point of no return. Computers are sensitive electronics & needs adequate & steady power for proper function. Too little power can fry a MB just as fast as too much.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

How old is it? Could be a system board issue, open the case and look around the processor see if any of the caps have raised up rather then being flat like they should look. Ive replaced those on a lot of motherboards, that seems to be a common issue with older pcs.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

How old is it? Could be a system board issue, open the case and look around the processor see if any of the caps have raised up rather then being flat like they should look. Ive replaced those on a lot of motherboards, that seems to be a common issue with older pcs.

I've seen some of these too, one mine, a few on other's PC's. Though replacement of the bad one(s) may be a perfectly fine thing to do, I replaced the MB, as I didn't know if others would leak in weeks/months to come, nor wanted to worry over it.

The good thing was that the one that I replaced was a cheap MB (<$50), had it been expensive, I may would have considered cap replacement. Some are quite costly & a cap replacement would be justified.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

The PSU is the first place to start, as if it's bad, it'll cause other hardware tests to fail when it crashes.

Bad PSU's can also destroy fairly much the whole computer, so can overheating. These "periodic" crashes will rapidly grow to daily ones if not corrected, to the point of the final one, from which there may be a point of no return. Computers are sensitive electronics & needs adequate & steady power for proper function. Too little power can fry a MB just as fast as too much.

Cat

What is the PSU?

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

Power supply. When it fails or is going bad, it can appear as though other things are wrong, such as failing memory tests. They don't get to finish because the PSU gives up.

I've had my own issues with HP PSU's & still have one sitting in the corner, whenever I feel like getting to it. It's no priority for me at this time, maybe when I'm bored & have nothing else to do.......

Cat

#8 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

It's about 4 years old, but it was one that a friend built for me so the components are probably older than that? I can't believe that it get to hot! It has 3 fans inside? Today it shut down and when I tried to restart it shut down again before it even got to the windows? It did this like 3 times.

#9 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

So I did a test last night and put a fan up to the tower and it ran fine the whole time it was on. So I'm guessing that the problem is that it's getting to hot? Now just need to figure out why it's getting too hot??

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

Pick up your courage in both hands - you may be in for a fright !

Shut your computer down, turn off the power and disconnect it from the mains supply. Then take the side off the tower and touch some part of the metal frame before anything else ( this is to neutralise static charges on you ). Then have a look to see how much dirt, dust and other muck has accumulated on fans, heatsinks and just generally around the insides of the computer. If it is dirty, and it probably is, it needs cleaning.

Use a soft brush - a largish artist's paintbrush will do nicely - and a can of compressed air to remove dust. I will admit that I from time to time use a vacuumn cleaner - gently - even though there is a fair body of opinion here on BC that says vacuumn cleaners are a no no. Whatever you do, either compressed air or the vacuumn, use the end of the paintbrush or something else fairly slim to stop the fans spinning as you blow them out.

If you decide to remove the fan and heatsink from the CPU to give them a thorough cleaning, you will need to remove the old thermal paste from the mating faces of the heatsink and the CPU - methylated spirit (methanol) or iso-propyl alchohol and some kitchen paper will do nicely - and put a thin smear of new paste onto one or other face before you replace the heatsink. This is IMPORTANT !

When you have it clean, take a careful look around to make sure you haven't disconnected anything accidentally, put the side back on, re-connect the power and any other peripherals you may have disconnected and you should be good to go.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

I will check it out but I'm pretty sure that it being dirty is not the problem because I have just recently cleaned it out. Because it has been doing this for a few months now and I thought it was from overheating I dont have the side cover on it all the way so I'm pretty on top of keeping it clean and free of dust build up. Thanks for the advice.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

It's about 4 years old, but it was one that a friend built for me so the components are probably older than that? I can't believe that it get to hot! It has 3 fans inside? Today it shut down and when I tried to restart it shut down again before it even got to the windows? It did this like 3 times.

Are the fans in the right positions? There needs to be an exhaust on top & back, and an intake pointing towards your MB, if possible blowing towards any extra graphics card installed, if present. Otherwise towards your CPU/RAM is fine. 

Are you still using the stock cooler? For some CPU's, this isn't enough for moderate to heavy use. Brand of thermal paste also counts, I use Arctic MX4, get it when on promo at Newegg. It's highly rated by many enthusiasts/system builders. Just a couple of more bucks than the lesser quality ones when on promo, which is usually once a month. Sign up at Newegg to get the latest ones often. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

I used to use Arctic Silver Ceramique 2, but found that it needed more frequent replacement, plus it takes a long break in period (a couple of 18-24 hour runs, allowing to cool between each). Plus the bonding it causes, once bent a few pins on a CPU because it was stuck to the heatsink upon removal. That was the last time I used it, gave away an unopened 20+ gram tube to a friend. That much for less than $10 is just too cheap. 

Cat

#13 nettechindia

nettechindia

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

It would be the motherboard issue due to excess heat and load such problems occurs try to show it to any hardware person.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

It would be the motherboard issue due to excess heat and load such problems occurs try to show it to any hardware person.

If the MB stays hot long enough for long periods, or over an extended time, heat can damage it. There's a lot of components on the board as well, trying to find the ruined one can be a challenge w/out extensive knowledge & testing equipment.

The HP that I mentioned having in the corner, I know that the PSU is shot, as I tested it, on three seperate occasions, plugged into different outlets. The voltage measures 2V less than the 18.5V output it's supposed to have. For several months before the final crash, the PC was overheating, so I don't know if there's any faulty MB components or not.

It's one of those all-in-one (AIO) models that has a notebook type PSU, had I known all it was is an oversized notebook, I'd not have purchased the unit. The only real PC component that I can see is the HDD. I don't know if the HP Capirona MB is used in traditional PC's or not, am doubtful because there's no place on it for a 20 or 24 pin PSU. This is a pic from a different model, mine's the HP Pavilion MS 214, the crappiest PC that I've ever had.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01815036-6%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.tpst=efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4092764&ac.admitted=1401648523492.876444892.199480143

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users