Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard drive for Toshiba Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

I have a Toshiba L755 Satellite laptop.  The hard drive went bad just before the warranty was up.  Got it replaced under warranty, and it went bad again several months later, so I gave up and bought a new laptop.

However, since I am taking online classes which require some extensive work, I am thinking of using my newer Acer (Windows 8.1) for the class, and getting my Toshiba (Windows 7) going again for personal surfing, hobby information and research, etc.  My question is- Can I just use an external hard drive for my Toshiba laptop and forego relacing the hard drive yet again? 

I was told that I could not by a phone tech, that I would need both hard drives to do this.  If so, I may not find this idea so cost-effective.  I felt that an external device might not be as prone to failure as a replacement Toshiba device.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

The tech is correct!  Was any reason given for the short life of the HD?  HD failure has little to nothing to do with the brand of LT, pickup a higher quality drive, for a spinner Western Digital Black or spring for an SSD.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I agree with OldPhil.  In fact, I would go a step farther and recommend an SSD of about 128GB as primary and an external drive to store all your files.  Laptop spinners are too vulnerable to shock damage, and SSDs are dropping in price (<.50/GB or better on Newegg).

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

You could probably run off of an external drive, provided the laptop allows you to boot from USB (or however the drive is connected).  Performance would probably be less than ideal.  I'll go with the crowd and recommend an SSD.

Tiger Direct has a PNY Optima Series 240GB Solid State Drive for $109.99 (89.99 after rebate), have to get it today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users