Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What am I doing wrong with sfc /scannow?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ogdizzle

Ogdizzle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

I was directed to use sfc /scannow to try and resolve issues with Windows 7 hanging on the welcome screen. I entered safe mode and used the sfc /scannow command in cmd.
Sfc returned with corrupted system files, as I had expected (parents computer), but after sfc "fixes" the files and once I restart I am stuck at the "black screen of death" with a moveable mouse cursor before the welcome screen.

Read carefully please because every remedy suggested by others has been in vain.

The only way I was able to fix the black screen was by using system restore to restore back to a time where the corrupted system files are present again. I do not need suggestions on how to get rid of the black screen, I need suggestions on how to make sfc /scannow work WITHOUT ruining windows and requiring me to do another system restore. I figure I am missing a step but all I get for suggestions are remedies for the black screen, not suggestions on how to actually get sfc to complete the task without screwing up my windows and requiring me to do another system restore.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Perhaps if you posted the results of the sfc /scannow that "fixed" the corrupt files it may give some clues to where the problem(s) lie in regard to the hanging black screen - it is possible that there may be files that sfc /scannow COULD NOT repair that cause the black screen hang. It is also possible that one may not have anything to do with the other,but without the results it's a moot point.

How to See and Read Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG: (Option 3 @ link CREDIT: Shawn Brink, sevenforums Admin)

1. Open an "elevated command prompt" (rt click command.exe-> Run as administrator)
2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will put an sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with only the SFC scan result details from the CBS.LOG. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could/ could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.

Also it is often said by some very smart peole (IMHO) that it may take running sfc 3 or more times before it can fully repair corrupt files.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

You seem to think that the sfc /scannow command can actually overcome every obstacle...well, it cannot.  That's why some of the entries on the sfc /scannow reults reflect that.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html , again...this is just an effort to overcome, nothing guaranteed.

Louis

#4 Ogdizzle

Ogdizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for your speedy replies. 

I will repeat the process and post the log file.

The problem lies not in that I expect sfc /scannow to fix it, the problem lies in /sfc scannow somehow making the computer inoperable.

I am typing this on the machine I am having issues with (very long welcome screen time).

But if I enter safe mode, and use /sfc scannow to attempt a *possible* remedy it makes the machine hang infinitely with the "black screen of death" (as I have heard others call it, cute isn't it?) with a moveable mouse cursor, and no response of any sort from any keyboard commands I could dream of. 

It is my fault for not explaining more thoroughly at the beginning, and honestly it's probably just one of many problems on this machine, although it performs nicely outside of initial loading times for the most part and now that the /sfc said there were corrupt files I would like to take care of it, just not sure how to accomplish that.  (Honestly I'd like to just do a clean reinstall but its not my machine)

Thanks again!

#5 Ogdizzle

Ogdizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

This was the unverified portion (feel free to chastise me if I am going about posting this in the wrong way)

2014-04-29 17:35:26, Info                  CSI    00000304 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2014-04-29 17:35:30, Info                  CSI    00000306 [SR] Verify complete
2014-04-29 17:35:30, Info                  CSI    00000307 [SR] Verifying 37 (0x0000000000000025) components
2014-04-29 17:35:30, Info                  CSI    00000308 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2014-04-29 17:35:31, Info                  CSI    0000030a [SR] Verify complete
2014-04-29 17:35:31, Info                  CSI    0000030b [SR] Repairing 1 components
2014-04-29 17:35:31, Info                  CSI    0000030c [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2014-04-29 17:35:31, Info                  CSI    0000030e [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:18{9}]"rpcss.dll" from store
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    00000310 [SR] Repair complete
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    00000311 [SR] Committing transaction
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    00000315 [SR] Unable to complete Verify and Repair transaction because some of the files that need to be repaired are in use. A reboot is required to complete this operation.
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    00000316 [SR] Repairing 1 components
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    00000317 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    00000319 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:18{9}]"rpcss.dll" from store
2014-04-29 17:35:32, Info                  CSI    0000031b [SR] Repair complete

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

I think Louis is correct, a repair install is probably your best option at this point -- and I speak from very recent experience... I did a repair install today (read my thread here @ Sevenforums). I used the tutorial that Louis linked to and it worked a charm.

If you really want to pursue the slow boot problem I suggest you go to MSFN.org follow the guide and post a reply on MagicAndre1981's pinned topic Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable persons I've seen on the Net in terms of debugging, etc. I did his guide about 2 yrs ago and he shaved my reboot time by about 15-20 seconds.

YMMV.

#7 Ogdizzle

Ogdizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Ok I will hunt down the disk and see what I can do. Thank you guys for the direction.

It's amazing how lost I feel with this. Last time I gave a hoot about windows was before Vista came out, and aside from fixing occasional issues with friends and family's PC's I haven't used anything except Ubuntu for years now. Microsoft has left me behind...

I will update my progress when I am able. Thanks again fellas.

Tony

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

:thumbup2:  Good luck. If you can't find your disk you can download Win 7 SP1 ISO's from here (completely legal, provided you use a valid M$ License key to re-activate) then burn to DVD or USB to do a clean install or repair install. A clean install w/ one of these ISO's may delete any OEM recovery partitions (not necessarily a bad thing) but on the plus side gets rid of all the OEM bloat/ crap/ trialware. If you go that route (Clean install) I highly recommend using this guide by Gregrocker @ Sevenforums, I have done so twice myself and 4 or 5 times for family/ friends with nary a hiccup, and you really do get a superior install as Greg promises in his tute.

Let us know how it goes.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Sounds like a corrupt boot loader. If you get a windows boot cd and get to command prompt you can check it and repair it.

#10 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hello! I just clicked the link and recieved this message???????

Important Note April 2014

Downloads have not been consistently available during the past few weeks. Files disappear and come back at irregular intervals. To avoid broken downloads, we generally advise the use of a download manager

Should your download currently not be available, please use an alternative file (different version, different language + language pack etc.), or check back in a few days.

Once things have stabilised again in a few days or weeks (for the better or worse), we will give you another update. Just in case, the download you require is currently not available, these are the alternative sources to get hold of installation media:

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

What's your point? Scroll down page the d/l links for English versions are all there...

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#12 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hello! When I click on the link, I don't see those. i must be doing some thing wrong. This is what I get???http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Sorry I see them. Wasn't scrolling down far enough

Thank you!!

Edited by donetao, 03 May 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

:thumbup2:  Select the version you have (Home -Basic or Prem, Pro, Ultimate, x86 or x64) with SP1 U (Media Refresh)... although you could select any version and then remove the file ei.cfg to get an "all-in-one" version (contains all 4 versions). If you need free software to burn a DVD it ImgBurn is a good choice (link is for d/l ver 2.5.7 -- newer ver 2.5.8 contains "Open Candy" spyware). Burn it using slowest available burn speed.  A good freeware software for creating bootable USB drives is Rufus, simple to use and oh yeah... it's FREE!

HTH :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users