Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 - Firefox 29

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

The new Firefox 29 is out, and it works just great in Win8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

Is working good for me also. Seems so far to run a bit faster than version 28.

It was also time for Firefox to get a modern look.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Why wouldn't it?

Anyway, I don't care for the Chrome look, so I'm using Classic Theme Restorer to get it back to a pre-29 interface.

#4 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

I'm using Classic Theme Restorer to get it back to a pre-29 interface.

That's nice, but I still don't have my menu bar buttons back (Stop, Reload, Forward, Back).

#5 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

That's nice, but I still don't have my menu bar buttons back (Stop, Reload, Forward, Back).

Really? I got mine to look like pre-29 for all of those buttons. Except I can't combine reload/back into one button outside of the address bar.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

There is one thing that's irritating, creating bookmarks. When clicking to bookmark a page, it goes into general ones. I then have to click onto the bookmark & edit it. An unnecessary step.

Hopefully this bug has been reported to Mozilla & be worked out.........wait a minute, I thought that's what the betas are for. Until a little over a year ago, I normally used the latest beta as default, however being that I need a stable browser, i use the latest stable release & ESR on one OS.

Mozilla should have corrected this issue before release.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Well, I ended up falling back to 28 last night.  Overall it worked fine, but after more use, I discovered some of my add-ons broke, one in particular Status 4 ever.  There were others.  I'm going to try and find suitable replacements before going back.

#8 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Well, I ended up falling back to 28 last night.  Overall it worked fine, but after more use, I discovered some of my add-ons broke, one in particular Status 4 ever.  There were others.  I'm going to try and find suitable replacements before going back.

Status-4-Ever works for me in conjunction with Classic Theme Restorer, not sure if CTR is totally necessary though. It lets you put an add-on bar at the bottom of the window. Then you drag the S4E interface down there. Done.

Edited by WhiteZero, 30 April 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#9 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Status-4-Ever works for me in conjunction with Classic Theme Restorer, not sure if CTR is totally necessary though. It lets you put an add-on bar at the bottom of the window. Then you drag the S4E interface down there. Done.

We just got done with our monthly trip into town.  I'm going to take a nap, and try it later, on my desktop and see what happens.  Thanks.

#10 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

• Just tested it on Desktop, worked great, will install it on my main computer.
  • No offense, but as for cat1092's comment, mine works the same as it always have.  It brings up dialogbox, click a down arrow and select the location (if needed).  I looked through my add-ons, and didn't see anything that indicated it changed the way the bookmark dialog worked.  Then I created a basic profile (no addons, etc), and it works just like it always have, at least for as long as I can remember.

#11 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

After more looking, if you go to:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/versions/

You can get the most current version, so "Classic Theme Restorer" isn't needed.

The main page link hasn't been updated, but the above, still on mozilla, has the current version.

Also, a few of the addons that was usually on my statusbar wouldn't show up after putting in the current version of status-4-evar on, or even in the toolbar at the top.  So I just installed the add-on again, and they showed up, so I could put them on the statusbar.

Suggest you create a screencapture of your statusbar, before installing the newer version of status-4-evar, just so you know what you had.

Tomorrow, I plan on doing a full install of Firefox and the addons from scratch, just to make sure all is fine.

Best of luck!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 30 April 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#12 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Wow! Finally something that actually works on Windows 8! Amazing!
Well... I guess some other things work on Windows 8 too. Will be updating momentarily.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Well... I guess some other things work on Windows 8 too. Will be updating momentarily.

Actually quite a few things works on Windows 8, but the reputation of the OS was tarnished before it's very release. In large part, due to many posting stupid YouTube videos of supposedly IT pros making it appear very hard to get past the boot screen. Anyone who has basic knowledge of operating a computer would know to hit the "Enter" key at that point. The farther into the previews, the more propaganda spread, essentially dooming Windows 8 before it had a chance.

I do feel that MS went too far too fast with the OS though.

That's one reason why I don't look to seeing public previews of the upcoming Windows releases anymore. These used to be by invitation only to selected testers & likely will return to that method. If rumors are true that MS is going to release the next version early next year, then if the public beta program is to continue, we'll know soon.

Cat

#14 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Actually quite a few things works on Windows 8, but the reputation of the OS was tarnished before it's very release. In large part, due to many posting stupid YouTube videos of supposedly IT pros making it appear very hard to get past the boot screen. Anyone who has basic knowledge of operating a computer would know to hit the "Enter" key at that point. The farther into the previews, the more propaganda spread, essentially dooming Windows 8 before it had a chance.

Never heard of those videos. As far as I can see, most of the Windows 8 backlash is over forcing users to use the new Start Screen. Thankfully MS has come to their senses and are giving us back a proper Start Menu option later this year.

Edited by WhiteZero, 01 May 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#15 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Really? I got mine to look like pre-29 for all of those buttons. Except I can't combine reload/back into one button outside of the address bar.

I don't even HAVE those buttons any more.  Even with Classic Theme Restorer, they're just gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users