Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hdd Install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

Can't figure. Took out a dead sata Drive. Replaced with new Western digital sata. Inserted my XP Pro cd (full retail) it gets as far as reading the EULA. Press F8 to agree then it just stays there. Sometimes when I try to boot from the cd I get as far as the Install, repair, or quit page Pressing anything does nothing and I need to shut off at the switch.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

Did you format the new drive with the manufacture's CD?

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:16 AM

Nothing like pointing out the obvious (and not that I've ever done this too :thumbsup: ), but did you check the jumpers in the back of the drive to see how they were set?

As you probably already know, the jumpers do funky things. I've had to set if from CS to MA to get an install to work on a WD 200gb hdd. On the flip side, I've had to change a samsung 40gb hdd from MA to CS to get it to allow me to install WinXP. Go figure, that's just my luck! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,226 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:38 AM

Thannks folks....
No did not format from mfrs cd, as I want install OS I figured to just let Xp do it.

Will have to check the jumper thing. Said it was set to the config I will use but,it may be wrong.

I'll have to check it a little later.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:55 AM

Hi boopme, with the experience that you have aquired I'm sure your aware that software installations don't always go as planned, it is possible that there was just a glitch...try, try again. Did the disk ask you if you wanted to format the drive first? If I remember correctly you will need to format the drive, and partition it prior to installing the OS.

Another possibility is you could also have a dirty disk, it doesn't take much to disrupt the laser, like the residue of wood smoke, or, God forbid, cigarette smoke, dirt, and when there are children...sticky fingers of a multitude of descriptions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,226 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:38 AM

Thanks dc3. yeah after mfrs cd only went into pix of how to install,it then referenced using the OS to set up. I thought that odd too. can't imagine why Xp won't proceed to format.

#7 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

Steve has a good point in the above post.

At the EULA is where setup will recognize your drives.

(Usually gives some type of error if it cannot locate the drive, BUT: It may just hang and do nothing just the same)

(Definately a configuration issue or maybe... hardware)
JU$T1N~1

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:43 PM

Are you able to install it as a slave in another PC and format it there? Then back into your new machine and try again...?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,226 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hi folks
well aftter tying every suggestion.
I find XP cd good,jumpers correct
New WD Sata drive good
old Sata HDD bad
NOW I have a new event. I think the mobo is bad
I went and reinstalled new drive again to try it several times.
Went into bios to check all and now It doesn't see any HDD. I did see new other day, it also saw old when I retried that. Now sees nothing.. Think mobo controllers are bad.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Make sure the SATA controller in enabled in BIOS. If it was not, load the drivers for it. The drivers should be on the floppy disk or cd that came with your motherboard.

Also, you must use SATA 1 if it is to be a boot drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users