Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install a brand new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new hard drive, to replace my old one, which got fried by my old motherboard (my fault), and as I've never replaced an internal boot drive before, just want to make sure i do it right first time.

The drive is an WD black 1tb 3.5" internal. So do i just plug this drive in, make sure it's detected in the bio's, and then install windows onto it from disk??

Is it that simple or is there something else i need to be doing before i install windows, such as formatting??

If i do need to format, whats the best way to do this considering i don't have an windows installation to work from? I do have a copy of Hirens boot disk though, but never used it before.

Thanks

Lee :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

System manufacturer and model?

What media do you have for this antipated reinstall of Windows?

Louis

#3 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

System manufacturer and model?

What media do you have for this antipated reinstall of Windows?

Louis

Hi Louis,

The PC is a custom build, which uses an 'Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO (Rev 2.0)' motherboard, DDR3 Ram, Socket 775.

I'll be installing Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks

Lee

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

whats the best way to do this considering i don't have an windows installation to work from?

Could you elaborate on this part. How are you expecting to install windows 7, without a Windows 7 disk? Or do you have a Windows 7 disk?

I've never installed Windows 7, but I did recently install XP to a fresh Hard Drive. I installed the drive, put the Win XP cd into the CD rom, and multiple BSOD's  later figured out I needed to load a 3rd party driver to complete the install.

I am guessing that the particular issue I had isn't a problem with Win 7 though. You should be able to boot from the Win 7 CD and install to any Hard Drive that your system detects.

In order for the system to detect the drive, the data cable has to connect the drive to the motherboard, and a power connector has to be plugged into the drive from the power supply. Those cables are completely different for SATA drives or PATA (aka IDE) drives, so if you are confused as to what goes where you should do an image search for 'SATA connector' and 'PATA connector' until you figure it out, or post here with more specific info.

You should also check you CMOS settings, which is done by pressing a key while starting up. Exactly which key differs for each Bios chip manufacturer, which in turn depends on what model motherboard you have. It should say which key to press somewhere on the screen, during the power-up-self-test and before it attempts to boot into an OS. Press that key before booting the OS starts, and you will be able to see your CMOS settings (aka BIOS settings or system settings).

You will have to make sure that:

- your CD drive is first in the boot order, so it will boot off of your Win 7 CD (assuming you have one)

- your system has found the hard drive you installed, it will have data about it and you should be able to tell from the capacity it mentions whether it is the drive you installed, or maybe some other device you have connected.

once you are sure of those 2 things, save settings and exit CMOS. You should be booting from your CD, and it should take you right to the Windows 7 installation - unless the process is very different from an XP installation (I don't know why it would be though)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

You have to have a valid windows disc and license key, or you cannot install windows. Alternatively, you can download various versions of Linux for free and install linux instead.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

G'day Shenobi_32.....If I have understood your post you have a Windows Disc, and will also have the license key.

Have a read HERE ....and also HERE

....between the two sites you should get a clear idea of the course of action to take.

Regards,

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#7 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Yes i do have a copy of windows 7 on an disk. What i meant in my OP by the sentence 'If i do need to format, whats the best way to do this considering i don't have an windows installation to work from?' was that as i don't have a current version of windows installed and my old HDD is fried, i cannot access my new HDD through windows on another HDD to use diskkeeper or anything.

I guess more specifically what i would like to know is, do i need to format a brand new hard drive before i install windows 7 onto it??

Edited by Shinobi_32, 30 April 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

A genuine Windows install DVD...takes care of formatting, creating partition for Windows, and installing Windows files.  There is no reason to format the drive using any other method than the Windows install DVD.

Tutorials With Screenshots, Installing Win 7

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users