Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading mirrored hard drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w4XUP6TUp4Es0eEVEw0B7mJ

To make a long story short: I mirrored my hard drives a while ago and now it's about time to upgrade, but frankly I only had just enough knowledge to mirror the hds (they were striped before).  I want to know if I can just go to the store and buy two identical hard drives (same make, same model, basically two boxes off the same shelf :P) and just swap them in in place of my older ones without having to fiddle with configuration or settings or what-have-you?

Regardless, what is the most practical (and simplest) way to get my data (including windows settings, etc, I'd rather not have to reinstall) from the old drives onto the new ones?

--

Oh, and although I don't plan to, could I do all of the above given that my old HDs are normal HDs, and the new ones would be either SSDs* or hybrid drives?

Specs

Manual

*I don't think there is much reason to do that though, is there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Normally you would break the mirror, install a replacement drive, and recreate the mirror.  How this would work when replacing with a different type of drive or a larger drive I do not know.  Breaking the mirror will be the first step.  Once you can boot with a single drive you will probably have to image the drive to the larger/different drive.  Then remove the original drive and see if you can boot with the larger drive.  After you can boot with the larger drive install the second drive and recreate your mirror. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Me...I would just clone the two drives...to the two replacement larger drives.

Example Software

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users