Thank you folks for the help. I installed lxle on the lappy and will be playing with it this w/e. I've read that Linux doesn't need an AV, but before I go naked on the web, what is the opinion of this forum on whether I should use an AV or not. Thanks!
Watch me get shot here... No you do not need an AV.
But you do need a firewall. In ubuntu open terminal and type
sudo ufw enable
and hit enter.
To check the status of UFW:
sudo ufw status verbose
The output should be like this:
youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for youruser:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
New profiles: skip
Reasons AGAINST antivirus on Ubuntu:
- They scan primarily for Windows viruses.
- There is a high rate of false positives.
- Isolation/inoculation is poor.
Reasons FOR antivirus on Ubuntu:
- You are running a file or mail server with Windows clients.
- You wish to scan files before transferring them, by email, flash drive, etc., to a Windows machine.
Use Firefox with addBlock , Pop up blocker, and no script.
Edited by NickAu1, 02 May 2014 - 07:19 PM.