Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux distro for old laptop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

I have an old Toshiba laptop (circa 2007) that has WinXP and I would like to install a Linux distro on it. I would like advice/tips on this.

The ultimate goal would be for the machine to have landline and wireless internet capability, and light/casual gaming. Is this doable?

I have ample experience with Windows... virtually none with Linux. I presume finding drivers will be the main issue. Any advice welcome. Thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

I have an old Toshiba laptop (circa 2007) that has WinXP and I would like to install a Linux distro on it. I would like advice/tips on this.

How much ram? If it runs Whinedos it will run Linux. Once we know your PC spec's we can see about OS

The ultimate goal would be for the machine to have landline and wireless internet capability, and light/casual gaming. Is this doable?

The internet things Shouldnt be a problem. What sort of games?

I presume finding drivers will be the main issue.

I doubt it. Almost all  linux distros will have the drivers covered.

For now Try this. Its puppy linux 5.7.1 retro your pc will love it. Download the ISO burn it to CD or USB and boot it as live to try it out its only 200 meg. This will run out of the box on your PC.

A version 5.7.1 update of Precise Puppy is now available. Precise Puppy is a Long Term Supported release, following Ubuntu Precise Pangolin's LTS attribute. The kernel version of the standard release is 3.9.11 (PAE, i686) while an older kernel 3.2.48 (i486, no PAE ) is used with the retro release (the retro has many device drivers, including analog modem drivers).

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm

Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here

Read this Brian loves puppy.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528893/need-help-selecting-which-file-to-actually-download-to-get-puppy-56/

Connect Puppy Linux To WiFi

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531358/connect-puppy-linux-to-wifi-sns/

Edited by NickAu1, 29 April 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

try this i have an old laptop and i actually installed this distro on a 32gig usb stick. it is fast and picked up my wifi connection fast. comes with 4 different desktops. note when you download it is is a torrent file. imho great and fast

http://lxle.net/

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

@ NickAu1

Question1= laptop specs

Toshiba Tecra model A8-EZ8511X

1GB RAM

Intel 945GM chipset

Celeron M CPU 430 @ 1.73 GHZ

60GB HDD

Question2= DOSBox for Linux is a must. The other games are 'hidden object' and 'mystery' types. Although they were designed for the Windows OS, so I guess they used DirectX.

So, I'm guessing gaming will be a bit of a problem unless the game is browser based? If you don't mind, would point me to info on getting gaming to work with Linux?

Thanx for the help. I'll try the distro you recommended.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,722 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Question2= DOSBox for Linux is a must

Thats no problem. http://www.dosbox.com/

The other games are 'hidden object' and 'mystery' types.

Candy Crush rules.

Look here for games.

http://alternativeto.net/software/candy-crush-saga/

If you don't mind, would point me to info on getting gaming to work with Linux?

Here's a list of some of the games you can play on linux without steam.

http://www.lgdb.org/games

Linux now has Steam while all games are not supported as yet the list of supported games is big.

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

rburkartjo  suggests a good distro. http://lxle.net/

Linux Lite https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.html

Lubuntu http://lubuntu.net/

Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/

Edited by NickAu1, 29 April 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Also... many Windows games that are not high end will run with Wine (Windows emulator for Linux). I suspect your games will fit in this category.

#7 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

elf i also have a 60 gig hd using 30 for linux and 30 for win7. with only i gig of ram i would still recommend lxle. it has about 20 light weight games already installed. i have 4 gigs of ram but lxle should work fine. imho this distro is better than puppy. i have used puppy and it can be a pita to install things. good luck in whatever you decide

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

elf i also have a 60 gig hd using 30 for linux and 30 for win7. with only i gig of ram i would still recommend lxle. it has about 20 light weight games already installed. i have 4 gigs of ram but lxle should work fine. imho this distro is better than puppy. i have used puppy and it can be a pita to install things. good luck in whatever you decide

Here, here. I've tried Puppy on numerous occasions, and have found it to be rather disappointing. To be more precise, rather confusing. I just installed LXLE on a Dell Optiplex GX280 and am very pleased with the results. One suggestion I would make, and this applies to any old beast you want to revive, is to use Chrome for your browser. Much less stress and strain.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:12 AM

Try absolute linux http://www.absolutelinux.org/about.shtml
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the LXLE suggestion Bezukhov. I'd not heard of that before... will try it out.

edit: looking at the package list it has most of the things I use, seems very well done at first glance.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 May 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#11 ElfBane

ElfBane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thank you folks for the help. I installed lxle on the lappy and will be playing with it this w/e. I've read that Linux doesn't need an AV, but before I go naked on the web, what is the opinion of this forum on whether I should use an AV or not. Thanks!

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,722 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thank you folks for the help. I installed lxle on the lappy and will be playing with it this w/e. I've read that Linux doesn't need an AV, but before I go naked on the web, what is the opinion of this forum on whether I should use an AV or not. Thanks!

Watch me get shot here... No you do not need an AV.

But you do need a firewall. In ubuntu open terminal and type  

sudo ufw enable

and hit enter.

To check the status of UFW:

sudo ufw status verbose 

The output should be like this:

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for youruser:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
New profiles: skip
youruser@yourcomputer:~$

Reasons AGAINST antivirus on Ubuntu:

1. They scan primarily for Windows viruses.
  2. There is a high rate of false positives.
  3. Isolation/inoculation is poor.

Reasons FOR antivirus on Ubuntu:

• You are running a file or mail server with Windows clients.
  • You wish to scan files before transferring them, by email, flash drive, etc., to a Windows machine.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Use Firefox with addBlock , Pop up blocker, and no script.

Edited by NickAu1, 02 May 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Ghostery gives a nice feeling also. (Firefox add-on)

#14 gamla7

gamla7

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

Microsoft would be "the greatest" if they kept a complete operating system "xp" to operate strictly off internet and would give it available to anyone interested  (my personal issue = running a tremendous Autocad software pack only xp capable) = due to my hardware I am pushed into a new world linux which I will take with pleasure, but ... I see now "torrent" files = question : what is the safest way to obtain/collect/convert linux torrent files from internet ?

I have a safe connection to internet on a shared PC.

Gam

============================================================================================================

Addicted to my portable T42 [xp] and a Desk PC with mobo Asus P5WD2 E PREMIUM [vista] - both operational in older OS but want to add both onto Linux.  All my application software works perfect in the XP environment. 

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,722 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

I see now "torrent" files = question : what is the safest way to obtain/collect/convert linux torrent files from internet ?

Yes...using any torrent, file sharing, peer-to-peer (P2P) program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, BitComet, uTorrent, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze, Skype, etc) or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. In some cases the computer could be turned into a malware honeypot or zombie.

File sharing networks are thoroughly infested with malware according to security firm Norman ASA and many of them are unsafe to visit or use. The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge.

...It is almost never safe to download executable programs from peer-to-peer file sharing networks because they are a major source of malware infections.

Software Cracks: A Great Way to Infect Your PC

Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install malware. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities.

Further some file sharing programs are bundled with other free software you may download (sometimes without the knowledge or consent of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, and browser hijackers as well as malware.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications and torrent web sites. Using P2P programs, file sharing or browsing torrent sites is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users