Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce 8400 GS & what drivers to use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

Hi, I have a Windows 7 Pro (see signature), converted over from  XP Pro.

With the current video card, GeForce 8400, I upgrade on their recommendation. I notice however, though I don't know if the problem is related to the card, updates or if I am on a dead end machine? It is when I am using on screen mirroring or playing YouTube vids, my machine freezes.

Usually, I can catch it before it does, because I am looking on the Resource Monitor & the CPU is buried. I notice it is running heavy when Air Parrot (mirror device for TV projection), but completely buried when running the YouTube vid, through the browser, onto the TV. The vid is stalled & the CPU is completely buried.

My question is if it is a matter of using older drivers, or specific ones that will yield the best results? Or, as I am pondering if the machine simply is at the end of its performance curve? It is a 7 year old machine, that came with 2GB of memory. The most it can take is 4 GB, but it only uses 3.75 GB.

I am going to milk this machine, for what I can get out of it. I figure with the price of cable TV, I will forgo draining my wallet on cable/satellite & go through mirror, using some of the website provided clips of some of the favorite shows I use to watch.

Thanks ahead of time, for the suggestions & any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. I will add that this is a laptop. 

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobertMizell

RobertMizell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

Download and update your GeForce 8400 drivers. http://www.geforce.com/drivers 

A laptop cooler may help. you can buy one from ebay or somewhere else. 

Edited by RobertMizell, 29 April 2014 - 04:38 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

It is a good idea to make sure the old video driver is deleted before installing the new one, you will still have video during this operation just at a lower resolution.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users