Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a recovery partition froma failing HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phxpcman

Phxpcman

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Greetings.

I have a pc (Dell Inspirion 530) with a failing HDD, and I am running Win7 Ultimate on it.

I have just ordered a new Seagate 1T HDD, and when I get it in a couple of days, I would like to use a USB to SATA connector to connect my failing HDD to the computer (Like an external HDD), and transfer the recovery image on it to my new HDD.

I need to be able to do it in such a way that my OS will be transferred to my new HDD as well as all my personal stuff.

How do I do this, please?

Thank you in advance.  :)

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2014 - 04:41 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

Look into Seagate Diskwizard, it should do what you want.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thank you my friend.

I've checked that out, and I believe I could do it...

But after some thought and research, I think it would be easier just to use a Win7 disc with my new HDD, get the computer up and running, and then plug my old failling HDD in as an external, and pull the image off of it to the new HDD.

What do you think?

Would that work?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

To a point!!  You can retrieve your data but much else, you may actually be better off with a nice clean install.  You will have to reload all programs plus about 120 updates, I recommend turning off auto update for the time being.  Go to windows update and select small batches to down load until you get up to date, I have heard of several instances of folks having issues grabbing all the updates at once.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

To be honest...trying to save data from a failing hard drive is a hit/miss venture, with much depending on the condition to which the drive has sunk.

Trying to clone any partition, hidden or otherwise...is not guaranteed to be a successful venture.  The process may appear to proceed but the chance for unreadable, damaged files is at least just as great as your chances for success, IMO.

Topic moved to Internal Hardware.

Louis

#6 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thank you, Louis.

You have helped me before, and I always appreciate your input.

If this venture doesn't work for me, would it be ok for me to just download a copy of Win7 and use my same product key to activate it on the new HDD?

I would rather have all my stuff, of course; but if I can't, starting fresh in no big deal. I have most of my stuff backed up on removable media.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Yes as long as key matches machine, you may have an issue with activation.  That may require a call to MS to explain HD change but that usually goes just fine.

#8 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Ah...thank you sir...

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic