Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hey, all. Friday evening, I went online, and during my travels, my firefox settings got screwed up. My preferences are no longer saved. I had it set so that I wouldn't see the bookmark toolbar, and I had the icons (back, forward, refresh, etc.) set to small. Now, the preferences reset to their defaults whenever I go online, and even when a new window opens!!!! It is really irritating!!!

I don't think it was a virus or the like, as my scans (AVG, Spybot, Adaware) all turned up negative. And no other programs seem to be affected. And I have also tried a clean install of Firefox, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

BTW, I'm on Windows XP Service Pack 2, Firefox 1.5.0.3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

Your preferences are saved in your Profile, which is not effected by any action you take to Ff itself. By chance, did you do something to either create a new profile (sometimes when you launch Ff you get a strange message that can cause you to do this), or delete the original one that had your preferences saved?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hay there rms4evr
Have you tried a making a new profile ?
type (no quotes) into start>Run "firefox.exe -profilemanager"
make a new profile and see what happens , if you have alot
of extentions ,don't load them at first untill everything looks
normal, then one at a time to see if one of them is corrupted
if it works you can kill the old profile and keep the new
or at least thats how it works on win98

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:32 AM

Thank you both so very much! I didn't even know about "profiles."

I created a new profile, reconfigured the defaults, and transfered my bookmarks; it worked! I then nuked the old one. I still have no clue what went wrong; I don't remember any weird messages, although on Friday I browsed a lot of Geocites and Tripod sites...those always used to screw up IE for me...maybe Firefox is vulnerable, too :thumbsup: . I'll just have to be more careful in the future. :flowers:

BTW, I have no extensions; I've heard horror stories about people who had some, went to update, and the extensions screwed up Firefox. I'm afraid. :trumpet:

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

Hello,

I don't know this for sure, but a friend of mine had installed FF and used it for several hours, then he left to run an errand, and when he returned his system had froze. When he restarted, some of the settings he had made were intact and some were not. Now I know this is a pretty basic story, but in my own personal experience, even if FF is active during a freeze, my settings have always stayed intact. Weird!!

Concerning extensions, there are some do's and do not's just as with everything. If you install only the higher ranked extensions, more than likely these will be compatible with the latest version of FF. Also, read the user reviews, and be objective. If you read a review similar to yours that had trouble, pass on that extension.

I currently have 58 extensions installed and activated. I test quite a few so that number fluctuates, but I keep tabs on the ones that I use no less than every other day. Several of them enhance features of other extensions.

The nice thing, is that even though I have alot of ext., my toolbar is still only an inch or so tall, as a big toolbar annoys me. I guess results vary PC to PC, but in the time I have been using FF ext., I have only had to reinstall FF once, and thanks to a couple of extensions that I use, reclaiming my settings, bookmarks, extensions, themes, chrome, about:config settings, and all the other info I like, was painless.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hay there rms4evr
glad it worked out , as for extensions , I use two only and consider
one a must have, NoScript, remembers the sites I want to allow
Javascript and blocks all the rest . plus it can block flash as well.
the other is User agent switcher, you can hide your browser header
or change it to another one.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users