Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage even when idle (50%>)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frekkon

Frekkon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hi guys,

When I open Windows Task Manager the numbers in CPU never seem to add up to the 50% that it says it's being using, so I'm not sure what process is hogging it. Once I open Chrome, it can go up to 80-90%.

Also when I'm in chrome and I enter an url it seems to take longer than usual and even not going to the address just staying in the blank page.

I got told that I should include screenshots from both task manager and process explorer.

PS: I'm a new user but I'm a bit tech savy and my most fear is that it is the beginning of hard disk failure.

nbyz5DR.png

KQDuyNY.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hello Frekkon
Your Kaspersky is running very high. Uninstall and re install it. Have your product key handy.

Some errors might occur when removing Kaspersky Lab products via the Start Menu or Control Panel. As a result the application may not remove correctly or remnants of the application may remain in the system.

To fully remove the installed Kaspersky Lab product, use the Kavremover utility. Note that the utility deletes all activation data and you will need to activate your product after reinstalling.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Frekkon

Frekkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

After I uninstalled and reinstalled the usage really went down a lot, thanks!

Here screenshots after reinstalling:

b4Gogkk.png

iwe4iOp.png

I just have a final question, is it going to happen again that Kasperky start to use a lot of resources out of the blue or it was just a weird situation where it just started to do it? 

Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks a lot for helping me, I was really concerned about the hard drive going bad.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I think you may have installed over a bad removal..

Remove with the toll and reboot.
Always reboot after removing any app.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users