Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard/gpu buzzing/crackling noise under load. Did a lot of troubleshoot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frank11111

frank11111

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Hi, please don't be scared off by the following wall of text. I provided a short version and then details for anyone who wants them.

System:
Windows 7 Pro x64
i5 4670k Haswell
Gigabyte-z87x-ud3h
Corsair 850w (then a Thermaltake TR2 600w during part of troubleshooting)
MSI r7950 (then a 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 during part of troubleshooting)
8Gb ram G.Skill
120gb Intel ssd
1tb hdd

Short version:
I've pretty much isolated the issue to where the noise occurs near the gpu regardless of different gpu and psu combinations. The noise doesn't occur in other computers when I swap my psu and/or gpu into them.

More info:
I tried a different PCIE slot. It doesn't sound like normal coil whine which I have dealt with before. More of a crackling and it fluctuates more. Definitely not from any fans. I tried different outlets to no avail and my other computers work fine on the same outlets. I hadn't changed anything around the time I first heard the noise except a couple fan connectors to the mobo which I switched around. I may have dusted it with Dustoff around then. I haven't had any performance issues.

This is the most similar noise I could find online. I can't get a good enough recording myself. You can hear it from 1:19 to 1:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-D8k9Wm2RU

Troubleshooting details:

• Under gpu load my Corsair 850w was making a crackling/ticking/buzzing noise under gpu load. I noticed when I started up a game. Using OCCT stress test for GPU and PSU I got the same noise. Definitely from the PSU. Stressing the CPU didn't give the noise.
  • I swapped the MSI gpu for the nvidia and got the same noise.
  • Then I put the 850w PSU in another computer and stressed it but got no noise.
  • I put the R7950 in another computer and got no noise.
  • Then I put the Thermaltake in my original PC with the nvidia card and got the same noise but now near the power connectors for the GPU and not in the PSU (extra weird to me).
  • If I leave the GPU in the pc and connected to power but hook up my monitor to just the motherboard the noise never occurs.
  • If the monitor is hooked up to the GPU and I move my mouse or scroll a page it makes the noise from the GPU but quieter.

I realize I will most likely just need to RMA the mobo but I would like to know as much as possible first.
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

After listening and watching the video, this sure sounds like a fan.  A number of other vibrating elements many be causing a harmonic together.  Stopping the fans one at a time may identify the culprit, if you find one, check the others too.  It really sounds like the older bronze/graphite bushings is bad, a squirt of wd40 will silence it  .  . for a while.

#3 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

The sound came out of three different devices in several different combinations where the only constant was the motherboard. Those components didn't produce any noise when in other computers.
It's possible you're not hearing the sound I was concerned with in the video. I even have trouble hearing it and it's pretty much only in that one segment I pointed out.

I'll try to be 100% sure it's not moving parts but I'm almost positive and don't see what it could be. Definitely not the main fans.

Thank you for responding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users