Hi, please don't be scared off by the following wall of text. I provided a short version and then details for anyone who wants them.
Windows 7 Pro x64
i5 4670k Haswell
Corsair 850w (then a Thermaltake TR2 600w during part of troubleshooting)
MSI r7950 (then a 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 during part of troubleshooting)
8Gb ram G.Skill
120gb Intel ssd
I've pretty much isolated the issue to where the noise occurs near the gpu regardless of different gpu and psu combinations. The noise doesn't occur in other computers when I swap my psu and/or gpu into them.
I tried a different PCIE slot. It doesn't sound like normal coil whine which I have dealt with before. More of a crackling and it fluctuates more. Definitely not from any fans. I tried different outlets to no avail and my other computers work fine on the same outlets. I hadn't changed anything around the time I first heard the noise except a couple fan connectors to the mobo which I switched around. I may have dusted it with Dustoff around then. I haven't had any performance issues.
This is the most similar noise I could find online. I can't get a good enough recording myself. You can hear it from 1:19 to 1:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-D8k9Wm2RU
- Under gpu load my Corsair 850w was making a crackling/ticking/buzzing noise under gpu load. I noticed when I started up a game. Using OCCT stress test for GPU and PSU I got the same noise. Definitely from the PSU. Stressing the CPU didn't give the noise.
- I swapped the MSI gpu for the nvidia and got the same noise.
- Then I put the 850w PSU in another computer and stressed it but got no noise.
- I put the R7950 in another computer and got no noise.
- Then I put the Thermaltake in my original PC with the nvidia card and got the same noise but now near the power connectors for the GPU and not in the PSU (extra weird to me).
- If I leave the GPU in the pc and connected to power but hook up my monitor to just the motherboard the noise never occurs.
- If the monitor is hooked up to the GPU and I move my mouse or scroll a page it makes the noise from the GPU but quieter.
I realize I will most likely just need to RMA the mobo but I would like to know as much as possible first.