Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Wont start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vjmure

vjmure

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

After fighting through a trojan on another forum, i tried to install windows updates; including an update to IE (was working prior to Windows Update).    the update froze for like hours.    I did a restart and it sat on "Updating do not restart".     again, for hours at the same percentage (again for hours).    I restarted and went into safe mode; it said it backed out the changes.      Everything looks fine except IE wont start.     I tried rebooting, resetting IE settings through Control panel.    tried disabling and renabling through windows settings (rebooting between each).    I tried manually installing; each with messages saying either the wrong OS or IE was already installed.   It does keep coming up in Windows Update; each time with an error: Code 9C48; Windows Update Encountered an unknown error.

Any insight is appreciated.     

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vjmure, 28 April 2014 - 06:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Try these posts => From sikntired or this => From dc3

Both relate to your Windows Update Error Code 9C48

Keep us updated -

#3 vjmure

vjmure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I tried disabling and reenabling; no dice.   Also tried manual installation which failed.    I tried ie 9, 10 and 11.    Sometimes it said it was already installed.    Others it failed.

I am suspicious it may be Java related.     I also, after this issue started, uninstalled Norton and installed McAfee (Norton subscription expired and i got a free year of McAfee).       Got errors on install, and the McAfee Internet Security app comes up with just a white screen box.    McAfee support site says its usually caused by a java issue.     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users