Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black, but can still be seen with a torch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cook3017

cook3017

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

Trying to sort a problem with my laptop and hoping someone can help or offer suggestions rather than me trying lots of different things.

I have a Acer Aspire 3735Z, and when it is being used the screen will just go black/dark. The laptop is still running and if I shine a light onto the screen I can still see the picture on the screen.

If i press the Fn key and F6, which i think is to change the output, the screen will sometimes come back on, but then go back off again, but this does not always solve the problem.

Also it does not do it all the time.

Could this be a simple loose wire inside or something more problematic

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Because the problem randomly happens it could be a bad connection. The problem is the backlight or the connection to the backlight, There are two types of blacklights.  A CCFL tube or an LED backlight. If the computer has a CCFL backlight, it could be as simple as replacing the inverter. If not, you would need to replace the LCD screen itself. 

This kind of problem is hard to diagnose as it occurs randomly. Your first option would be to remove the bezel of the LCD screen and look for any loose connections. If you are not comfortable with that, it may be better to have a good independent shop look at it.

#3 cook3017

cook3017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the reply,

How will i know if it is CCFL or LED backlight? and how difficult is it to replace the inverter, is that located on the screen?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

If you remove the bezel of the LCD screen and see a long thin circuit board with two wires coming out of it, it will be CCFL. If you do not see the circuit board, then you have a LED backlight. From some quick Google searches, it seems your computer has a CCFL bulb and inverter board. I had a CCFL go bad on my laptop and I coverted it to a LED backlight using a converter adapter but when I did this, I could not adjust the screen brightness any longer. The inverter can be seen in this video.

#5 cook3017

cook3017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi thanks for the info, replaced the inverter, only took 2 minutes and the screen works perfectly again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. You were lucky that it was the easy fix. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users