Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging volumes but what is my configuration to start with?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I have a dual boot XP/Win 7 and wish to merge an empty Disk E into the Win 7 partition D

Under Computer I have:

Disk C                                Disk D                                  Disc E

70.3GB free of 88.5GB      7.47GB free of 23.5GB        29.8GB free of 30.0GB 

Presumably for XP?           Presumably for Win 7

Under Computer Management  the list shows:

7.00GB(OEM Part.)   D 23.53GB System,Active,   C 88.52GB Boot,Page File  E 30.00GB Primary Part.

Primary Partition                  Cr.Dump,Prim. Partition       

I don't understand what that 7GB OEM (presumably the original  pre loaded XP, yes?) is doing there before the D - separate to protect it?

To install Win 7 I divided C into two roughly equal parts and installed it into the empty part. Where this  separate E partition has come from I don't know. I thought C is containing my XP or has Win 7, made its position C when I'm in Win 7 mode? 

I could use E for storing data  I suppose but is it OK to delete E and do the needful, if necessary, to combine C and E?

Yes I'm confused - any clarification appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Digging out my old notes on the installation of Win 7 I see that the 23.53GB (14.85GB used) should be the XP partition and 88.52GB is the Win 7 partition.

So my previous assigning of the partitions was wrong, reversed in fact.

So my only query now, I think, is how that partition E came about?

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

The old memory is coming back.

Some years ago when I first bought this netbook the setup asked to set aside some disk space. As the HDD was quite large I plumped for 30 GB just in case of I knew not what.

Problem solved I think,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

I would leave those partitions alone.

If this is a netbook...that means that it's an OEM system (made by HP,. Dell, Lenovo, etc.) and probably contains a partition which allows you to reset the system to factory defaults.  This is typically the only means of reinstalling Windows on an OEM system.

Louis

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yes that is right. I think I'm OK now for what I want to do - thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users