Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long could you last without Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware or Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

How long could you last if you were a normal PC user without an active Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware or a Firewall before getting attacked by someone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Too many variables involved to be able to give any sort of credible answer. Someone who has a well configured browser and very safe surfing habits, would probably last longer than someone who is heavily involved with social media and peer to peer applications. As one comparative example.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Okay, what about a computer just sitting there connected to the internet but not doing anything? Would it be attacked?

(By the way, this question is not important, I was just curious)

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Less than 30 seconds, last I read.  I believe that was on Windows XP with a fresh non-patched install.  I believe Windows 7 or 8 would fare much better.  Since Windows XP Service Pack 3 the Windows firewall was installed and turned on.  That configuration change alone provides a lot of protection.  Assuming that you're not turning off the Windows Firewall you should be pretty safe, but I haven't seen any recent tests for this.  The last article I found was from 2008

#5 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

It's a question I have often wondered about. My answer would be about six months. This is based on the frequency with which antivirus/antimalware programs come up with anything of significance. Over the last twelve months, I would say that I have had more problems from over-zealous protection software (particularly firewall and HIPS) than from malware. But had the malware been successful in getting through on the few occasions when it was blocked, it could have been very problematic. So do I need antivirus/antimalware?  - definitely, YES.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Okay, what about a computer just sitting there connected to the internet but not doing anything? Would it be attacked?
(By the way, this question is not important, I was just curious)

Botnets and Zombie computers scour the net, randomly scanning a block of IP addresses, searching for for vulnerable ports (commonly probed ports) and make repeated attempts to access them. If they find an open port on such a computer just sitting there...you don't have to guess what will happen.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users