Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could you live without a cell phone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Could you live without your Cell Phone? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Could you live without your Cell Phone?

1. Voted Yes (46 votes [65.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.71%

2. No (24 votes [34.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.29%

Vote

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Poll Just for fun - Could you?

My vote is Yes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I did it before there were mobile devices. So I'm sure if they ceased to exist I could do it again. Lots of things I take for granted and convenience would be lost. It would not be a pleasant experience. But yeah I'd adapt again.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Without a problem.  I had a high usage month last month, 30 minutes on the phone with my step-daughter, only because that was the number my parents gave her.  Normally I'm on the phone for less than 5 minutes a month and those calls are work related.  I use my phone for my audio books and to waste time in line.

Since I'm old school, I don't "need" a cell phone.  I've had one since the mid 90s, but only as a requirement for work, so I could be contacted day or night.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I have an Iphone and it has been turned off for most of this year. I have used it for only 3 hours since January. I hate mobile Phones.

Edited by NickAu, 06 December 2014 - 04:37 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Easily. Grew up without it. I think the only true value is the emergency aspect. Everything else can be done when you get to a computer or phone.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Could I? Probably.

Do I want to? Nope.

I admit that I don't use the "cell phone" part of my smartphone very often. My house has bad cell reception, so I tend to have in airplane mode with WiFi on when at home. And since I work from home most of the time, that is most of the time. But, it is useful for when I do go out.

#7 nettechindia

nettechindia

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

As in this modern cell phone had become an very familiar and common thing and it is very popular from kids to old age people it is depend upon the people who can live without cell phone also.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Never owned a cell phone. No longer have a land line, either...use Skype. Seriously thinking about ditching

cable TV, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 weegomacy

weegomacy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yes but without internet impossible  :guitar:

#10 Thraino

Thraino

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Like some of you've said, I could live without my cell phone, but I would rather not.  I've grown accustomed to using it for quick Internet searches, and it's so much more convenient when I'm on the go and I don't have my laptop with me.

#11 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hi everyone.

My vote. yes. 

I am in the Rocky Mountains right now. There are no cell phone towers and I don't think there ever will be where I am...way far up.  

So, I have done without my cell or any phone service for the past 3 days, closest signal is about 15 miles as the crow flies or an hour drive. 

Haven't really missed it so far. Maybe I will have messages and texts when I return to civilization lol...but I think I don't miss it because I have the computer and Internet...if I didn't have that, I definitely would feel totally disconnected. 

Cell phone...right now I think it is a convenience, not a necessity. And it's very nice to get away from the phone and just away sometimes :)

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

I hate to admit it, I really do.... If forced to I could, but if I had the option, a definite "no". 

Its not that I hang around all day with my phone, but especially when I have to go someplace I like to be able to rely on the option to communicate. 

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#13 forum junkie

forum junkie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

They're nice to have but I'm not that weak... 

#14 johny1992

johny1992

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

For me it's mission impossible :)

#15 Tyraelx

Tyraelx

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

I could live without my phone but I need it for Gmail two-factor authentication and similar stuff. I suppose I could disable those but that would make it less secure

Edited by Tyraelx, 18 October 2014 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users