Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Golden Older Program help (Accpac 6.1)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kiddmanty

kiddmanty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

I was wondering if anyone here could help me with Accpac Plus 6.1. We have recently updated our computers to windows 7 64bit and I need to transfer over Accpac from windows xp to the new machines. I have heard that you can still run this program through windows xp mode and  was wondering how to do so. Some information is that the program Accpac is on the network, So I am not sure how to go about this to get it to work.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2014 - 10:19 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

First off, I highly recommend upgrading to a Windows 7 version, if at all possible.  If not possible finding a Windows 7 replacement should be something that you start looking into purchasing.

Have you tried installing the software and running it in Windows 7?  This would be the first thing to try.

If that doesn't work, right click the short cut you use to launch the program and select the Compatibility tab, check the Run this program in compatibility mode box and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Here is a link to the Microsoft Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 instructions.  I recommend against using this solution unless absolutely necessary.

#3 kiddmanty

kiddmanty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

Yes, an upgrade is in the future but in the mean time I need to get the old one working somehow.

Re-installing is sort of out of the question since it is being help on a "server" that has all the files it need to run (i think). Plus the issue with re installing is that all the disks are on really old floppy disks and the new computer only has a CD-ROM. 

Also the Compatibility is out of the question since it is on a network and will not allow me to do so.

I have tried to open and run the program in windows xp mode but to no avail, so I am lost on how to start the program in windows xp mode. When I have tried to start the program it has told me a few errors. One being .PIF had an error and to check it, and second that I do not have permissions to open the file from the network.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like you need to find more information on the program.  If it is running off the server then you should be able to create a short cut pointing to the program you launch and set it in XP SP3 compatibility.

If you're having rights issues to files on the network, that is a different issue and should be resolved before you spend too much time trying to get the software running as the lack of network access maybe why it isn't running.

There may be a client piece that needs to be installed on the machine.

I don't have experience with this specific program, but if it comes on floppy disks that tells me it is ancient.  You could copy the floppies, if they are still readable, to a machine and then copy them to a network location and install from there.  I've had success using the SUBST command to fool the install into believing it was installing from a floppy.  The command is:

SUBST A: H:\Disk1

Where Disk1 is the folder with the first floppy files.  When you need to change disks you run the command again and point to the proper folder.  This isn't 100% fool proof, if the software has some kind of physical copy protection you're out of luck.

#5 kiddmanty

kiddmanty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

I think you might be right on the lack of of network access, I have access to the server and all other computer running. The server and other computer except the new one are all running windows xp. So how would I go about giving myself the right access to the network to get it to run?

The thing I do not understand with this program is that all the other computers are using shortcuts to the server drive and they all work, yet when I try from windows xp mode it does not work. 

Thanks

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

The most likely problem is that the network settings is not set right for the XP mode. There are several settings in there. Many are good for testing programs for viruses, malware etc. It isolates the VM.

Not connected Self explained. No access internet or network allowed.

Internal Network this setting only the VM's can communicate virtually, but not with the host or the real network and they do not have outside internet access.

Share Network NAT is used by default. It cannot communicate with real network machines or other VM's. The host running the VM assigns an IP to the VM like the dhcp server or router does. Internet access is allowed.

Real hosts nic card This setting acts as a bridge with the hosts nic card and the VM will be seen as a real machine. It can be assigned an IP from a router device, or can be set with a static IP like it had it's own Nic card. It will have full internet access and Networking with the real network is allowed and other VM's that are configured this way.

Edited by technonymous, 29 April 2014 - 02:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users