Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recipient cannot read Word document

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I sent a document in Word 97-2003 doc. format to someone to print for me. They reported back that it opened, but it was "gibberish". I asked what word processing program they used, but haven't heard back yet. Does it make a difference? It opens for me fine using Open Office. Is there any format that is "all purpose" (i.e. can be opened with any word processing program)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

If the person did not have an Office suite installed and only used Wordpad because .doc is associated with it by default then it could possibly come out as gibberish if there was a lot of special formatting. A simple formatted document could be saved as a RTF (Rich Text Format) file. I would ask the recipient what program they used.Tell them to install something like Libre Office, Open Office or Kingsoft Office Free. I have found that Kingsoft is very good at reading Microsoft Office document. DOC format is pretty universal. Any good Word Processor program should be able to open it fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users