Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new gaming laptop and looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 connorsuds

connorsuds

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

I am buying a new gaming laptop and was wondering how these specs look and how well they would play on games such as, battlefield 4, ESO online, WOW. 

*BASE_PRICE: [+1179]
ADAPTER: Full Range AC adapter 180W, AC in 100~240V ~ 2.5A 50~60Hz, DC output 19.5V, 9.5A
BAGS: None
BATTERY: 6-Cells Lithium-Ion battery pack 11.1Vdc 4400mAh 49Wh
BLUETOOTH: Built-in Bluetooth
CD: 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-FANG-DVDRW)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ Mobile Processor 2.80 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.80 GHz
DOCKINGSTATION: None
FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 2in1 Media Reader
FREEBIE_VC: NVIDIA FREE TO PLAY - Warface, Path of Exile, and Heroes of Newerth
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 350 MB/s Write [+3] (Single Drive)
HDMI: Built-in HDMI Port
HEADSET: * GG Cruiser PC200-I Gaming Headset w/Large 57mm drivers [+29]
INVERTER: None
KEYBOARD: Built-in Full Size Keyboard w/ Red Backlight
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory (G.SKILL)
MONITOR: None
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset Mainboard
MOUSE: * Cooler Master Storm Xornet Wired 2000 dpi Gaming Mouse [+9]
MSSDx1: None
NETWORK: Killer E2200 10/100/1000 Mbps Gaming Network Card
NOTEBOOK: CyberPowerPC FANGBOOK EVO 15.6" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display w/ Red backlit performance keyboard with programmable keys, Built-in 720p HD webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
NOTEBOOK_COVER: Fangbook EVO HX6 Cover
OS: * Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks
SERVICE: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 [+0]
SOUND: Supreme HD Audio w/ THX True Studio Pro Technology
SPEAKERS: Premium Stereo Speaker System
TABLET1: None [+0]
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 3x USB3.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-510)
VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in HD Webcam [+0]
WNC: 5th Generation Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260HMW 802.11AC, 867Mbps+300Mbps Wi-Fi + BT 4.0, Mini PCI-E combo [+32]
_PRICE: (+1252)

Thanks so much guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Hi, you made a great choice on the i7 CPU as WoW is pretty CPU intensive game and the 860M should be able to handle BF4 at may be medium settings at 1080p. Although, if your budget permits, you could up the GPU to a 870M in order to turn the graphical settings in BF4 and ESO.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

My concern would be the 128GB SSD drive.  I'm running 120GB with WoW and install almost everything else to a mechanical disk and I still have had space issues when WoW updates major patches and expansions.  I don't install any where near what I used to but my WoW install is about 35GB, last I checked.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

if youre looking to buy like today, check out some prebuilts from Lenovo, there are a couple great deals at like the same price with almost identical builds to the one that you have above, i7, Nvidia GT860, SSD AND HDD etc.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

My advice is don't buy a gaming laptop. "Gaming Laptop" is an oxymoron.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I pretty much agree with bludshot if you are going to be gaming a desktop is a better choice.  I am not a fan of the laptop form factor unless you require the portability.  You can get more computer for less money if you go with a desktop.

Additionally screen size is an issue.  Another reason for preferring a desktop for gaming is upgrades.  Laptop upgrades are generally limited to RAM and possibly hard drive.  Upgrading a video card can get another six months to a year out of a machine.

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Also your posture is worse on a laptop (maybe ok for idle clicking, casual computer use, but you stare at games and focus on them). And, arguably the keyboards are less ergonomic. Everyone I have ever known who games on a laptop suffers overheating problems, including the computer shutting down in the middle of their game.

The only time I could see someone getting a gaming laptop is if their situation requires that they can't have a desktop (say they are traveling and living on a bus or something) and so, might as well make it a really powerful gaming one because they like to game.  But for everyone else who really wants a laptop and wants to have a gaming computer, I think they should buy a non-gaming laptop (saving lots of money compared to buying a gaming laptop), and then take that money and buy a gaming PC. Then you have your gaming PC and your laptop.

Edited by bludshot, 30 April 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#8 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have a desktop and a laptop (both gaming systems) I have never had an issue with posture on either of them, to be honest its more comfortable to switch between them from time to time, I use a controller (xbox) with a lot of my games so the keyboard placement is not generally an issue.

I really like being able to game just about anywhere, I bring it to my buddy's place and we play multiplayer games, much easier than lugging my desktop and 3 monitors.

I have an MSI laptop, and have yet to encounter a game that it couldnt handle.

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I was talking about PC gaming ;)  If you're using an xbox controller that's another story. But yeah, this is all just... personal opinion and stuff

#10 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

I was talking about PC gaming ;)  If you're using an xbox controller that's another story. But yeah, this is all just... personal opinion and stuff

Yea PC gaming with an Xbox controller, Skyrim, Battlefield, Crysis, Borderlands, etc, all playable with a wired Xbox controller.

#11 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

bludshot is right - Gaming laptops are a little ridiculous. The idea of gaming laptops never really worked for me. I always tell people to never buy a laptop unless the portability is a necessity. But, I am assuming you do need it (or want it, at least) hence why you posted about a laptop in the first place.

#12 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Nobody's actually answering this guy's questions...

The laptop specs look GREAT. You will have a great experience as long as you don't have unreasonable expectations.

The battery is not very big and the components are power hungry so I'd only suggest gaming while plugged in. 

Other than that, the small SSD is a concern. That's the only thing I would change if you have the option. Maybe 480GB would be good, depending on how many games you want to install.

A 128GB SSD only has room for Windows and 1-4 game installs. 4 for smaller, older games, 1 for single insane games with crap tons of addons and updates like WOW. 

Since SSDs degrade with write cycles, it would be unwise to be constantly uninstalling and reinstalling games to the SSD. 

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

Those posters who think you shouldn't buy a 'gaming' laptop have valid points. I, however, feel that if you ever go out of town on a trip of some kind and want access to your on-line games then you should check into it.

I got mine at http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ and I'm quite happy with it. I also found a Lenovo on Amazon that had almost the same specs as mine. The main difference was Lenovo had 2 video cards and no DVD. I went with a DVD drive.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Those posters who think you shouldn't buy a 'gaming' laptop have valid points. I, however, feel that if you ever go out of town on a trip of some kind and want access to your on-line games then you should check into it.

I got mine at http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ and I'm quite happy with it. I also found a Lenovo on Amazon that had almost the same specs as mine. The main difference was Lenovo had 2 video cards and no DVD. I went with a DVD drive.

Optical drive is useless. If anything you buy an external one. You can install windows off USB and any PC game can be found on Steam. Optical is a waste of space and money.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

any PC game can be found on Steam. 

That is not entirely true as some EA games like Battlefield 3 and 4 are not available on Steam.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users