Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive not detected in "My Computer" or Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charlie j

charlie j

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Recently changed some hard drives in my desktop and the CD/DVD Drive is not working, Not detected in "My Computer" or  Device Manager. 

I was wondering how I can get it working again, not too well versed on changing bios setting.

Can any of the pro's here offer a walkthrough?

Using a custom built desktop

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred 0.13um Technology
RAM
3.0GB DDR @ 133MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
KT400-8235 (Socket A)
Graphics
719BF (1024x768@75Hz)
128MB RADEON 9600 PRO Family (Microsoft Corporation) (ATI)
Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 (PATA) 22 °C
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500BB-55GUC0 (PATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Appreciate the consideration

Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

The only times I ever have had issues with plug n play not finding devices, it has been because my cable connections weren't made properly.

You should probably turn off the computer, open the case and make sure the CD drives data cable is completely on the motherboard connector. Check it is likewise fully inserted into the back of the drive.

I know that for the 4-pin Molex connectors (used for non-SATA drives), an accidental forceful tug on them can cause one of the wires to "pop" off of where it is normally secured inside the connector. This may not be obvious by looking at it. 

I would suggest using a different connector to power the drive, if there is another one available.

After checking the connections, start the computer and see if Windows finds it.

#3 glonner

glonner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

You might also check the cable itself. Had a fluke one once where one of the wires had a section cut out of the middle. Yeah, a nice little rectangle cut out of the middle of the cable. Weird, but it's possible that the cable itself is faulty.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

As stated...check the cables/connections first.

If those are properly done and the drive doesn't show in the BIOS...you may have a dead drive.

If connections are properly done and drive shows in BIOS but doesn't show in Windows...you probably have a Windows problem which can be corrected.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users