Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Icons On Desk Top ...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

Oh dear, this is so embarassing but after spending countless hours trying to figure this out for myself, I must admit temporary defeat and ask for help - gentle smile.

On my old Windows 98 it was so eary to simply 'manually' move my icons anywhere I wanted them to sit on the computer's desktop.

But with my new Windows XP Media Edition, I'm at a loss. Truly.

I wandered through the Mini-Guides for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and suspect this is such a basic question that I may be the only 'newbie' that can't figure this out on her own. (Yup, this is so so embarassing!).

I tried dragging them. Then I tried right-clicking directly on an icon and using the 'move here' - but that didn't work either. Then I got a bit smarter and tried right-clicked on the desk top and found some choices given.

Arranging the icons by name isn't going to help, nor by size. Tried by 'type' but that didn't do it either. Then tried using 'Modified'. Then played with the 'auto arrange', etc, including unticking the 'lock web items on desktop' plus all the other options - all to no avail. ( Finally figured out how to get the icons to sort of 'exchange places' with each other - but that's not helping me.

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me how I can get my icons to play nicely and, for instance, let me place all my anti-virus ones on one side of screen ... all my photo editing programs in centre of screen and the remaining ones all on the opposite side of desktop. In other words, to let me place any icon anywhere I want on the desktop, just like I could with my old computer.

Thanks so very much,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

MaraM,

I moved this topic to a more appropriate forum to have more visibilty, to get you a quicker response.

Be (Playing with Icons) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

Hi MaraM!

Don't sweat the small stuff! I saw this post and said to myself "Hey, I know this one!" Then it took me 10 minutes of searching for the little "Lock desktop icons" box I was thinking of! See, happens to all of us!

Right click on your desktop to bring up a pop up window. Click on the "Desktop" tab. Now, click on the "Customize Desktop..." button towards the bottom on the left. Now, click on the "Web" tab. Here's the problem: The "Lock Desktop Icons" box is checked (towards bottom of box). Uncheck this box, and you'll be able to move your icons how ever you like!

Hope this helps! Let us know!

Edited by stevealmighty, 22 May 2006 - 03:11 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

After you arrange them the way you want them download this little freeware utility that allows you to save the desktop icon layout so if it ever gets changed accidentally it takes but one click to restore it to the way you had it:

Icon Restore
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/iconrestore.html

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

After you arrange them the way you want them download this little freeware utility that allows you to save the desktop icon layout so if it ever gets changed accidentally it takes but one click to restore it to the way you had it:

Icon Restore
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/iconrestore.html

Hi Enthusiast,

Thanks so very much for letting me know about this little freeware utility that will rescue me when my desktop icons decide to move themselves around in the future - and for providing a direct lint for downloading.

Really do appreciate this - and the moment I get all the icons into the 'proper' order on my desktop, I'll be using this wee program and thinking ever so kindly of you each time I use it in the future. (I've discovered that surely computers have a 'wee mind of their own' at times - how else could one shut down the computer at night with things working perfectly, only to boot it up in the morning and find the computer has developed major 'hiccups' - gentle grin!).

Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hi MaraM!

Don't sweat the small stuff! I saw this post and said to myself "Hey, I know this one!" Then it took me 10 minutes of searching for the little "Lock desktop icons" box I was thinking of! See, happens to all of us!

Right click on your desktop to bring up a pop up window. Click on the "Desktop" tab. Now, click on the "Customize Desktop..." button towards the bottom on the left. Now, click on the "Web" tab. Here's the problem: The "Lock Desktop Icons" box is checked (towards bottom of box). Uncheck this box, and you'll be able to move your icons how ever you like!

Hope this helps! Let us know!

Hi SteveAlmighty,

How kind of you to 'confess' it took 10 minutes of searching to find the evasive section re desktop icons you were hunting for! It's so reassuring to know that I'm not always alone in bafflement re computers - huge gentle smile!

I printed off your above instructions and and lo, I'm truly daft at this stuff obviously. (Couldn't get my choices after right-clicking on desktop to match exactly - but did notice that the 'unlock' box was unticked already).

So after thunking and thunking, I hope you don't mind that I'm attaching two images (at least I hope I can figure out how to attach something here) - the first when the desktop is right-clicked and the second when the options sections comes up. Would you please be ever so kind as to take a peek at these images for me?

Yup, this is truly embarassing as I'm sure the solution is right in front of my eyes!

Thank you once again,
Mara
..... Oh dear, I couldn't figure out how to add the two desktop 'captured images' here. Got them into 'paint' and lo, they won't transfer. Off to read through all the mini-tutorials on this site as I'm sure that topic is already covered somewhere.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

The way to post an image here is to upload them to a picture hosting site and then use the link they provide.

One such site is Image Spot
http://www.imgspot.com/

It will then give you a variety of ways to use the link they provide which you just cut and paste into the forum window where you post/
Use "Your Image in BBCode"
An example would be:
[ img ]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/141/22/IE1148352050.jpg[ /img ]
(I put spaces between the brackets and the word img and /img to show you what the image in BB Code would look like.

Back to the icons -
Right click on the desktop and click "properties".
Do you have a theme chosen other than XP or Windows Classic?
If so, use one of those which you access with the dropdown arrow to the right of the theme name.

Also - right click on the desktop again, hover the cursor over "Arrange Icons By"
make sure "auto arrange" and "lock items on desktop" are not ticked.

If all the above fail, try turning off "align to grid"

To turn off the desktop icon grid
Right-click the desktop, point to Arrange Icons By, and then click Align to Grid.
A check mark appears next to Align to Grid when it is turned on.

When the invisible desktop grid is turned on, icons snap into alignment whenever you move them, giving your desktop a cleaner look.

Let us know.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 May 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

Okay, this is more than embarassing - eek! Off I went and used the 'Search' box here at Bleepingcomputer site and typed in 'attaching files to messages' .. then, 'inserting images' ... and a few other things. And still don't know how to 'attach' a couple image files to my messages here. So, although I shall keep searching (I suspect it's my choice of 'search words' that is the problem), I hope you will forgive me for using a 'text format' for explaining what I see when I right-click on my desktop.

1. When I first right click on my desktop, the below shows:

Arrange Icons by (arrow)
Refresh
Paste
Paste Shortcut
Undo Delete
Graphic Properties ...
Graphic Options (arrow)
New (arrow)
Properties

2. When I click on the top line above, 'Arrange Icons By ', the below shows:

Name
size
Type
(dot) Modified
(whited out) Show in groups
(tick) Auto Arrange
(tick) Align to Grid
(tick) Show Desktop Icons
Lock Web Items on Desktop
Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard

I've unticked all the above 'ticked' lines since and once again played around with all my choices - and darn, each icon still refuses to be 'lead' to where I'd like them to be placed on the desktop.

Please do feel free to laugh - I suspect even a Newbie really should be able to figure out something as basic as moving around the desktop icons!

Thanks once again,
Mara

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

..... Oh dear, I couldn't figure out how to add the two desktop 'captured images' here. Got them into 'paint' and lo, they won't transfer. Off to read through all the mini-tutorials on this site as I'm sure that topic is already covered somewhere.

I use http://tinypic.com/

Save as .jpg & keep the size under 250 KBs.

Post the link like this-

http://i4.tinypic.com/10fvq8j.jpg

You could use words instead of the actual address like--

See Picture - Click Here

Edited by medab1, 22 May 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:08 PM

The way to post an image here is to upload them to a picture hosting site and then use the link they provide.

One such site is Image Spot
http://www.imgspot.com/

It will then give you a variety of ways to use the link they provide which you just cut and paste into the forum window where you post/
Use "Your Image in BBCode"
An example would be:
[ img ]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/141/22/IE1148352050.jpg[ /img ]
(I put spaces between the brackets and the word img and /img to show you what the image in BB Code would look like.

Back to the icons -
Right click on the desktop and click "properties".
Do you have a theme chosen other than XP or Windows Classic?
If so, use one of those which you access with the dropdown arrow to the right of the theme name.

Hi again Enthusiast,

Wow, who knew something like 'Image Spot' even existed! I've printed off your instructions and really do appreciate your kindness in letting me know how to do this.

Our message postings here may have 'crossed each other' as I'd just posted a 'text version' of what I see when I right-click on the desktop, etc. - but now that I've printed your great instructions off for uploading images at BleepingComputers, I'll be able to do it in the future.

Love to learn things so truly appreciate your help with this uploading info, Enthusiast!

Kind thoughts,
Mara

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

Try unticking autoarrange and relook at my previous post which I modified while you were last posting.

By the way - I believe you need to store the picture as a .jpg, not a .bmp and I do not think paint can do that.
Just save it as a jpg in whatever file you save your pictures to.
Then upload it to Imageshack.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 May 2006 - 10:17 PM.

#12 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hi again Enthusiast,

It worked, it worked!! My scads of desktop icons are now sitting exactly where I want them to be!! I know it must seem like such a tiny thing, but it's wonderful to have them all grouped in separate places so I can find them easily - and I appreciate your help so very much!!

Have already downloaded the wee freebie program you suggested so now I'm going to activate it (wonder if that's the correct term) and no doubt will be using it frequently. (I'm constantly changing my resolution on computer because of working with images, etc - and oddly enough, each time I do - at least on my old Windows 98 computer - the icons throw a wee fit and scrambled themselves all over the desktop).

Thanks again for everything, Enthusiast...

Mara

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

You are very welcome.

I am glad we were able to figure out what was wrong.

I am the same way about desktop icons. They must be in the right place and lined up or it drives me crazy, and yes, every time you change the resolution your desktop gets messed up - that's why I really like Icon Restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users