Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Just wondering if java is now safe to have on the computer and is it needed for anything.

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Safe? Java is one of those programs which is continually having new vulnerabilities found in it, so probably not. However if you do find that you really DO need it, ensure that you keep it up to date (and ensure that older versions have been removed - Some older Java versions can stick around even with a newer version on the PC).

Do you need it?. that is difficult to say as we have no idea what is on your computer that might need it. Very few things need Java these days, so it might be worth uninstalling it anyway. If you come across something that need it, it's easy enough to reinstall.

x64

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Safe? No, not really. They always release new versions to fix various exploits hackers find with it, but there is always that window between when hackers start exploiting Java and when you get the fix, in which you will be vulnerable.

Do you need it? Maybe. Some programs need Java to work.

I'd recommend un-installing Java and see if all the programs you like to use still work. It's a free download, you can always re-install it.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Safe? No, not really. They always release new versions to fix various exploits hackers find with it, but there is always that window between when hackers start exploiting Java and when you get the fix, in which you will be vulnerable.

@ yu gnomi -

You have just described any Microsoft program, as they all need updating on a regular basis.

Keep all your Java, and just keep it updated from HERE on a regular basis.

Current XP SP3 Recommended is Version 7 Update 55. Delete old versions, and Untick the ASK Toolbar Option

» What is Java?
» Remove Older Versions
» Disable Java
» Error Messages
» Troubleshoot Java
» Other Help

This is the normal information included on the Java Download Page.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

If you don't need it for any particular piece of software that you use often, IMO you are better off without it. The simplest way to find out if you'll miss it is to un-install it.

I un-installed Java on my machine and all of my programs work fine.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

If you don't need it for any particular piece of software that you use often, IMO you are better off without it.

This leads to the never ending question.

When you download any program, chances are that you will not get a large banner saying "You Now Need Java, So Download It".

I left all of the links above for everyone to make their own minds up, and included » Disable Java and » What is Java?.

Nobody is ever forced to use Java, and I have never said that you must use it, and even Java states this -

NOTE : As of April 8, 2014 Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP and therefore it is no longer an officially supported platform. Users may still continue to use Java 7 updates on Windows XP at their own risk, but support will only be provided against Microsoft Windows releases Windows Vista or later. See Third Party Vendor-Specific Support Terms on Oracle Software Technical Support Policies (pdf) for details

Edited by noknojon, 27 April 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#7 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the reply's, I removed it a while back and so far have not had any problems.

Moe_P

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

Java Use, Quietman7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516886/problems-with-browsing-this-page-cant-be-displayed/?p=3231066

Louis

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

On all of my computers, Windows XP through 8.1 Update 1, I've lived Java free for over a year. The only times that I need it is when Intel or NVIDIA is checking for updates & they furnish a temporary version for this purpose.

Actually the last time a program required it was when I was using Open Office, it was under the Sun brand at the time.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

FWIW:  I have 2 systems, both dual-boots with XP and Win 7.

Java is installed on one...it is not installed on the other system..

I have no problems with either.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users