Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kkeller

kkeller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

I am trying to do a system restore in Windows xp home and it seems to be doing fine but won't actually log off, it just sits at the logging off screen, if I manually shut down, the restore isn't complete. I am trying to do this because I seems to be having some minor problems that just started happening and thought that would be the easiest fix. If anyone knows how I can complete the restore, please let me know. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

The Microsoft Knowledgebase suggests trying a different restore point.

Improper Shutdown May Affect System Restore
Improper Shutdown May Affect System Restore
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 283096
Last Review : January 27, 2006
Revision : 1.2
This article was previously published under Q283096
On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Method 1: Choose the Same or Another Restore Point

Method 2: Undo the Previous Restoration

MORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
When you use System Restore to perform a restoration to your system, System Restore may not restore all files as expected. You may also receive the following error message when you restart the computer after the restore process:
System Restore
Restoration Incomplete
Your computer cannot be restored to:
Date
Restore Point Name
This restoration is incomplete. It was interrupted by an improper shutdown. You should undo this restore or choose another restore point.
To choose another restore point, restart System Restore.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when the computer is not shut down properly. For example, this issue occurs when there is an accidental or intentional improper shutdown during the restoration process.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, you can restore to the same restore point again, or undo the first restore.
Back to the top

Method 1: Choose the Same or Another Restore Point
1. Start System Restore.
2. Click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
3. Choose a restore point from the System Restore Calendar in the Select a Restore Point dialog box, and then click Next.

Back to the top

Method 2: Undo the Previous Restoration
1. Start System Restore.
2. Click Undo my last restoration, and then click Next.
MORE INFORMATION
When a computer is improperly or forcibly shut down during a restore process, either accidentally or intentionally, the machine may be in a state in which only some files have been restored.

If an improper shutdown happens at any other time (not during restoration), and a restore is done to a point before the improper shutdown, there is a small possibility that such a restore might fail, due to the fact that some file operations might not have been logged properly by System Restore. The system will be in the same state as before the restore was initiated. To resolve this issue, follow the steps shown in the "Resolution" section of this article.
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
Article ID : 302796
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796/en-...=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
Last Review : June 30, 2004
Revision : 1.0

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to perform basic troubleshooting for issues that involve the System Restore tool in Microsoft Windows XP.
MORE INFORMATION
To troubleshoot System Restore issues, use one or more of the following methods: • If you receive an error message that is related to System Restore, always make sure that you first record the error message, and then follow the instructions that the error message contains to try to resolve the issue. Most System Restore issues generate an error message that contains a description of the issue and suggestions for how to resolve the issue.
• Make sure that you have sufficient disk space on all the drives where System Restore is enabled.
• Make sure that the System Restore service is running. To do this, use one of the following methods: • Look in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, and then type compmgmt.msc in the Open box.
2. Expand Services, and then click System Restore Services.

• Open a command prompt window. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
2. Press ENTER, and then type Net Start at the command prompt to make sure that the System Restore service is up and is running.

• Make sure that System Restore is enabled on the drives where you want System Restore enabled.
• Try to run System Restore in Safe Mode.
• If you suspect that you do not have as many restore points as you should have, make sure that the data store is the size that you want the data store to be.
• View the event logs to investigate System Restore service errors. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
2. Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, double-click Event Viewer, and then click System.
3. Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796/en-us?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users