Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntkmlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x5a4 is using too much CPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Francant

Francant

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

Hello, my laptop will be making a lot of clicking noise and I can't get anything to respond until it slows down. When I can get Task Manager up, it sometimes shows that System Idle Process with the figure in the CPU column fluctuating in the 90s. The CPU Usage: fluctuates from 5% to 39% while typing this in. When I do catch_ ntkmlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x5a4 _, it is showing twice, but think that it is happening in both cores.

I recently did a backup on an external hard drive, but I have no recovery disc(s) for this laptop [if I did made a disc, I have forgotten where it has went].

Made a bootable 8GB flash drive with WARY5.5 on it that this hardware can be ran from. But didn't understand from old post on how to proceed.

Would appreciate any information that would help me understand the problem and what the solution might be.

Fran

Found this old post:

There was a post from this site dated back in :

System Idle Process - ntkmpla.exe Using up 90% CPU usage ...

www.bleepingcomputer.com › ... › Operating Systems › Windows Vista
  •  
  •  
  •  
Jan 30, 2009 - 8 posts - ‎2 authors

ntkmlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x5a4 <-- There are 2 of these showing in the "threads" tab under properties of System Idle Process in

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aurlf6FxfQhBSKJFWy2qweL

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

You need to stop using this computer ASAP, the clicking is from your failing hard drive. If its not failing and still clicking, your continued use will make sure it fails. I highly recommend you take a complete backup and make a recovery disk or a backup of the important data you might need from this laptop before proceeding with any of the following steps. I suggest taking the backup in safe mode. After you have taken the backup, try to boot the laptop in safe mode and check task manager to see if the process is still active

Are you using a USB modem?

Do you have a Nvidia 8800GT video card?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Francant

Francant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Thank you for responding to my concerns. The link should have taken you to a webpage that just shows the information about my Toshiba Satellite L355D Notebook.

It is about 5 years old and sees a lot of use, but mostly on the desk. The previous one traveled and only lasted 3 years, so decided that this one would stay put---and it was the hard drive that failed in that one. But don't recall it acting up before it just failed to boot up one day. Believe that this notebook is having issues, because when playing just Solitaire only, have seen the game glitch when I don't recall it doing that before.

It is CAT5 cable connected to Belkin router.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130707-1535)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
       System Model: Satellite L355D
               BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.50
          Processor: AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
             Memory: 2814MB RAM
          Page File: 1014MB used, 4836MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Drive: C:
 Free Space: 71.2 GB
Total Space: 230.9 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: Hitachi HTS543225L9SA00 ATA Device

Drive: D:
      Model: MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ880ES ATA Device
     Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.00.6002.18005 (English), 4/10/2009 23:39:17, 67072 bytes

#4 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hard drives need to be treated with a lot of care. Some demonstrate symptoms that they are failing (clicking, whirring etc) and some die on you without any such symptoms. Then again, a hard drive 'failing' is a complex issue, it could be mechanical or non-mechanical. Only when its a mechanical error does it demonstrate physical identifiable symptoms. Unfortunately this laptop staying put does not guarantee that the hard drive wont fail.

Can you try booting in safe mode after you have a backup, a recovery drive and have made sure you have everything that you need is safe?

In the process log you posted, I dont see the particular process in question _ ntkmlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x5a4 active. What did you do differently? Is CPU usage really high when the process is not active as well? Does your computer get really hot?

If you can replicate the process being active and killing it, tell me the temperatures when its active and when its not. http://filehippo.com/download_speedfan

I see you have a lot of processes active and just 3 gigs of RAM. It could just be a case of overusage. Lets try uninstalling programs that you dont need from add or remove programs.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Francant

Francant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thank you  Kunal, for making the effort to help me. Have been wondering if it is Microsoft Security Essentials and/or SPYBot doing their thing when the computer is not busy.

Also from you saying the hard drive, Googled 'Hitachi HTS543225L9SA00 ATA Device' and it seems that the driver may need to be updated. My feeling a little cautious about the external hard drive that has 2 backups on, first when i bought the drive and the second one was done recently. I do not leave the external hooked up to notebook and it has been knocked over at least twice since the first backup years ago.

The notebook works, but seems so sluggish any more and i am afraid it will fail soon.  

The issue is cost, am not working and on food stamps and donations for utilities. Was hoping it was something I could fix, short of actually working on on the inside of notebook.

If I am asking too much, then feel free to decline wasting any more time with this problem.

Fran

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

*Edited*

I strongly suggest you take a backup of all your data before proceeding with any of the following steps:

Most likely the above error is caused by outdated drives, try updating your drivers especially the Realtek drivers.

Also, make sure your BIOS is updated (ensure you do this step by step as per instructions from the manufacturers website)

Let me know if you need detailed instructions on any of the above. Let me know how it goes.

*Edited*

To start with, its not a good idea to have more than one antivirus running on your computer. I recommend uninstalling SpyBot and letting Microsoft Security Essentials run. Make sure all the definitions are updated. Sorry about your situation, but I will still recommend taking a backup of all your important data before trying anything on the computer, I can make suggestions, but I cannot take responsibility for any lost data.

You should definitely keep your hard drive drivers updated but old drivers wouldn't cause any of the above issues you are describing especially the clicking. To isolate the issue I will ask you to 'clean' your computer by removing unwanted programs using Add/Remove programs or Revo Uninstaller. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Then, defragment the hard drive using Auslogics Defragmenter. 

After that, I will go back to my above suggestions, try and replicate the issue and look at different scenarios when CPU usage is high/low.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by kunalthechamp, 19 May 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#7 Francant

Francant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

When looking for drivers, was not having any luck. The Hitachi is a Western Digital now---or was really to begin with, seems it was a Travelstar 5K320 and WD's site was offering a tool for professionals. Last time that I tried to update drivers through Toshiba, they insisted that the driver were fine and that they had tweaked[?] drivers for this notebook and that I shouldn't use the original manufacturers drivers and that they had no updates to the drivers of my notebook. Looked at sites that claimed to be able to update drivers. They still seem untrustworthy, had tried eSupport a few years ago and they never updated a driver in the years time.

A few days ago, I did find an updated graphics driver, but think I may have done it improperly. Assumed that AMD didn't need the last updated driver removed before installing new update. There does not seem to be any difference in what I seen on the screen.  The previous update was performed by me making a guess as to what drivers AMD was  offering that seemed similar to the one in the notebook. Seem to recall that I had uninstalled the original driver and let Windows do graphics chore until I had the replacement driver installed. *That was 2, maybe 3 years ago.

Did the Tweaking program and it showed Error Code (0) OK for 43.of Total Hardware Found.

MSE is the primary security, that is ON all the time. SPYBot is set for manual running. 

Have been using Auslogics 'DiskDefrag' for years, but recently started using their 'Registery Cleaner', but have been using 'CCleaner' first. Have been using 'CCleaner' to do uninstalls, but have had a couple of program that still refuse to be uninstalled..

My recall is not as good as it once was and sometimes it takes a while before the full memory gets recalled. The problem with that is I get impatient and go with how I first remember it and sometimes leaving a step out can make a big difference in outcome.

Oh, you are fine, I realize the monkey is on my back and that you are only offering suggestions. But having someone that I can discuss a problem with helps me see the whole picture and not my myopic view of the problem.  ... use to be able to just talk out loud and feel like I was getting a second opinion.  lol

Thank you,

Fran

#8 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

Fran I will be stepping out at this point and will let a more experienced user take over. I dont want to suggest anything that can be detrimental to your system. Thanks.

#9 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/256269/bsod-error-code-10000050/

#10 Francant

Francant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thank you again Kunal, Fran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users