Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP computer with a weird booting problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

Hi,

I am using a Dell D630 laptop with 4 GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 (64-Bit) and XP-SP3 (32-Bit).

I have recently (a couple of days ago) reinstalled completely my computer with XP SP3; this comes with Internet Explorer 7 by default. Then, I made a ghost of my freshly installed XP using Acronis True Image, so in case any problem arose, I could re-patch my computer easily from that ghost.

I updated to Internet Explorer 8 for XP, and this is where the problems started: after rebooting the computer, the first 15 to 20 minutes I cannot run any program in XP, and then suddenly, everything would work fine; I concluded logically that it was Internet Explorer 8 which was causing my problem; then, I decided to remove it following the instructions found in Microsoft KB website. But, the problem was there despite the fact that I have now Internet Explorer 7 for sure.

So, I decided to use my Acronis ghost to patch my computer (only the C: and not the MBR) from Windows XP itself by running Acronis True Image 2013 (it does this by rebooting and running an Acronis boot). When I reboot, the computer gets stuck on a black screen and does not boot at all. I decided then to boot from my Acronis boot CD (made at the beginning). This time, I choose to re-patch both the C:\ and the MBR; but it is still not working.

Now here is the weird problem happening to my computer: I need to boot with my Hiren Mini XP boot CD; then, I tell it that I want to boot from the hard drive, and then I chose to run my XP again: and this works! But, I cannot boot directly from my hard drive. Thus, I concluded that my MBR has been corrupted by Acronis as I can only start my coputer by booting first from Hiren Mini XP.

So, my question is this one: I want to re-install everything but with Windows 7 64-Bit (I have a 64-Bit processor). If I reformat everything and re-install my computer, would this boot problem disappear, or do I need to fix first this problem and then install W7?

Many thanks for any help.

Jean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 (64-Bit) and XP-SP3 (32-Bit).

Why are you using the 32 bit on a 64 bit device, that could be the source of the failed backup.  Or what that a typo.

I want to re-install everything but with Windows 7 64-Bit (I have a 64-Bit processor). If I reformat everything and re-install my computer, would this boot problem disappear, or do I need to fix first this problem and then install W7?

Yes, you need to fix the issue first.  Do all patches and updates, and make a new backup and recovery/ rescue disc.  (make sure you also grab your files you really want.  Like documents, pics, music downloads etc.  Windows upgrades have a habit of chewing them up.)

Click here for a How to video by Microsoft on what you need and how to do the upgrade so no issues happen.  Also run the Check Tool for the same link.

Still got questions please ask.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Hi,

When I bought the laptop in 2008, it came with Windows XP SP2 32-Bit; there was not at that time W7 64-bit.

I have saved already all my files; so thanks.

Also, I would like to have a fresh install of W7 64-Bit.

Also, I have updated the current XP-SP3 with the latest patches; but the problem is on the MBR. Since you are advising to fix this issue first, I did not get your approach, and what I should actually. Do I need to fix the MBR with a MBR fixing tool for instance?

If so, how to fix the MBR, as I do not need to have anew backup or recovery disk.

Jean

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

Do you need the info that is on your HDD?  If you don't then you can get a .iso file and burn it to a DVD (on another computer) and move it over and reinstall a new XP OS.  You will lose all your info on the computer but no worries.  Do you have another CPU with XP on it.

If not then here is a trick that works, and you keep you data.

Click here for the link

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Well...I don't think that "the issue" has even been defined yet...so I would hesitate to suggest anything other than running a hard drive diagnostic before doing anything else.

Once you know that the hard drive itself is functionally sound...then you can proceed down any path you choose, assuming that this Win 7 install you refer to is legal and you have a valid license for it.

I see no value at all in fooling with an XP install/reinstall...if you have a valid license to install Win 7.  Unless, of course, you have the upgrade version of Win 7 which will look for an XP install to validate the Win 7 install.

Louis

#6 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

I have done it, and the hard drive is working perfectly well.

I have indeed a second legal and valid licence of W7 Pro that does not required XP CD.

So, my question is that knowing that a Dell computer would come most probably with a MBR that is not standard - unless I am wrong - would it be safe to recreate a MBR and proceed then to W7 installation?

Thanks

Edited by jc.delvaux, 27 April 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

Go to dell.com in the forums and type MBR and your system info.  But as long as you have all the files you need, the worse that can happen is it does not work, and you inset the XP recovery disc and try again? 

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users