Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Clean-Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Verrette

Verrette

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hello friends,

I have some time today to dedicate to cleaning up my computer! Can someone let me know what I need to download, copy & paste to this blog, in order for you computer genius's to lead a hand??

Thanks all the most!

Stacey

Thanks! -Stacey

(my computer info:Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 - SP3, 64X2 Dual - Hewlett-Packard Co.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

By "cleaning", do you mean malware- removal? (getting rid of ad-ware, viruses and the like).

If so, there is a separate forum for that. Actually 2, one for if you suspect you are infected and another for if you know you are infected.

#3 Verrette

Verrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

I mean get rid of anything (files, folders, ad-ware, viruses) and anything else that A. does not need to be on my computer, and B. anything that is taking up space....

Thanks-Stace

Thanks! -Stacey

(my computer info:Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 - SP3, 64X2 Dual - Hewlett-Packard Co.)

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well, what is just 'taking up space' is subjective. Rather than deleting stuff you aren't sure if you use or not, it might be best to run the built in Disk Cleanup utility . Start Menu--> All Programs--> Accessories-->  System Tools--> Disk Cleanup. It only deletes stuff you're computer will function fine without- temporary files and extra restore points (for System Restore utility).

It will also compress files you don't use very often if you enable that option. That can take a long time, and fragments files like crazy, so you might want to defragment your drive afterwards. Start Menu--> All Programs--> Accessories-->  System Tools--> Disk Defragmenter

However, if you want your system to perform better, I would recommend looking at this reference

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

It is a guide as to how your services should be set. Each service is a program that is potentially running in the background, using system resources. Some services you need to have running, but many you do not need and you should be sure they are not set to automatically run.

If you are worried about malware and want to do an online scan for viruses and such, here is a link http://housecall.trendmicro.com, but I'll admit I've never used it myself. The company Trendmicro is highly reputable, and it's probably an effective scan.

Edited by yu gnomi, 26 April 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#5 Verrette

Verrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Okay, I will try your suggestions! Thanks!

Thanks! -Stacey

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Any programs you are sure you won't use again (and maybe some programs that you are sure you can download again for free) you can un-install from Start Menu--> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs 

which will bring up a menu of the applications installed on your computer.

You should probably do that before the other steps I mentioned, I just forgot about it.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

Speaking of uninstalling no longer needed apps, Revo Uninstaller (Free version) not only removes the app, but in Advanced mode, also all of the folders & registry keys with it, which will free up space on the computer. There is even a Free portable version that doesn't require install that can be ran from a Flash drive. It's at the bottom of the page, below the standard Free one.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users