Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK will not run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 janeygee

janeygee

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

I have a Seagate external 1tb hd connected to a WD Media player which has developed a fault which stops me accessing some files on the HD. I update the files on the HD by connecting via cable with my PC to add further video files.

Recently Iwhen I connect the HD to the PC, Windows identified that there are errors on the drive and prompts me to run a scan. This has worked OK , but now stopped working. The scan starts but fails to complete with message that "Windows cannot repair the errors" .

I have tried running "chkdsk" from command prompt. Same result.  and also by right click the HD in question from "My PC" , same result.

I think I may have caused the fault by failing to "Safely disconnect hardware" from the Media player.

I can access all the files, and write to the HD when connected to the PC.

Is there some way I can force the chkdsk command to work, as I feel this will solve my problems.

Thanks in advance.

What is morally wrong can never be politically correct

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 janeygee

janeygee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

OK...........that is a "tomorrow morning" task , but as per the note above this is a completely new world  to me. !!!!

How do I change the boot order ? , and can I go back to what it was . Step by step instructions are needed , sorry for my lack of knowledge !!!

#4 janeygee

janeygee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

Just to update further, I am currently running Seatools diagnostic/repair prog, and will update when finished

#5 janeygee

janeygee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

OK.........ran a 6 hour full diagnostic/repair scan on the HD.  No problems discovered. Tried to run the chkdsk via "Rt click the drive>properties>tools>check " ....errors detected but windows unable to repair. The video files which were on the HD were still available to view via the PC. I re=formatted the HD, re-ran the chkdsk scan as above. No problems detected  great !!!!!

Re-loaded a couple of files onto the HD and tried to view via the WD Media player. No media available on the HD and when I reconnected to PC and ran chkdsk , the unrepairable error was back.

Stumped !!!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

If you reformatted the hdd you would have wiped out the operating system.

What exactly did you do?

How are you running chkdsk, and what switch did you use /f, /r,etc?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 janeygee

janeygee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

OK  full update now .

If you reformatted the hdd you would have wiped out the operating system.

What exactly did you do?

How are you running chkdsk, and what switch did you use /f, /r,etc?

Crossed wires here I think.  The HD in question is an external HD which I was using to store/watch video files via a Western Digital Media Player.

I think I caused my own problems by failing to use the correct "eject" procedures for the HD, both from the PC and the media player. I have added files, played them, ejected the drive correctly, 3 times now with no problems. After each sequence I ran the chkdsk via  "Rt clicking the drive  > Properties > Tools > Check " , every time the scan would run, and no problems found.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, which enabled me to hopefully sort the "problem" , and I hope this may benefit someone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users