Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection dropping randomly (the dreaded yellow triangle)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bondquest

bondquest

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Firstly greetings to everyone, I am a new member, but have used bleeping computer as a reference for years.

I hope I'm posting this in the correct part of the forum, but I'm sure someone will move it if it's wrong.

A little background about my IT knowledge. I used to build my own desktops (back in the day), so I've had a little experience. I know that it's not normally the construction, it's generally the interaction between hardware and software which can cause problems.

Anyway back to the problem.

Last night at about 10:00 BST I suddenly lost my network connection on my Acer laptop. At first I didn't think much about it, and assumed it was an ISP problem. About 5 minutes later it connected again.

About half an hour after that it did it again (the dreaded yellow triangle popped up on the network symbol). Again I didn't think much about it, as within a minute or two it was restored. However this has continued to happen at irregular intervals (10 minutes to around half an hour), and continues now.

I've done the normal things like checking other devices when it happens (another Acer laptop (wireless), a desktop (wired), and wireless tablets and phones that are in the house). None of them are losing connection at all.

I've deleted the wireless network, and set a new one up. I've checked the power management settings of the adapter, but so far nothing seems to have worked.

When it happens, the Wireless Network Connection says that I am connected to the router, but no internet access. The Network and Sharing Center has a red cross in the link between the wireless router and the internet. I've set the wireless adapter to a static DNS of 8.8.4.4.

My limited knowledge has now run dry. It's saying I'm connected to the wireless router, but there's no connection to the internet. That would seem to point to router trouble, but every other device in the house is connected without problems. If it is the laptop, or more specifically the wireless adapter, why does it say I'm connected to the wireless router?

Any offers?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bondquest

bondquest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

I have been monitoring what happens when the connection goes down.

Even though the Network and Sharing Center shows I'm connected to the router, and the connection is broken after that, when it drops I tried to access the router by typing in the IP address in the browser, but it wouldn't, or couldn't connect.

It seems to display either problems with the hardware (wireless card), or the software controlling it, as it tries to connect if you physically press the connect button on the network dialogue box. It's as if the card is powering down, or the software doesn't remember to automatically stay connected.

Either way it's very frustrating. Still, nothing a lump hammer wouldn't kill or cure.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

Hi bondquest. Unless there is a problem with the card itself, please check the Wireless card properties on device manager - Power Management tab and check the first box.

:step1: Download inSSider and check wireless channel and router broadcast on frequencies and distances.

:step2: Try updating your wireless card if available only by manufacturing support site.

:step3: Try going to a better reception area and or borrow a known good usb wireless adapter to confirm the problem.

Tekken

#4 bondquest

bondquest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Dear jhayz

Thanks for the reply.

I'm feeling a bit of an idiot. All I did was check the first box to allow the computer to control the power management of the wireless card, and I haven't had any problems (touch wood).

I looked on my other laptop, and the tab was checked. I suppose I should have done that first thing. I don't know how it got unchecked, maybe it was when I was messing about with other settings.

It's been 6 hours since I did it and no problems so far.

Inssider has revealed the signal strength of my router seems very poor, particularly in comparison to neighbouring networks. It's never been much of an issue. The main use of the network is to connect my laptop, and the downstairs Sky+HD, both of which are in line of sight. I sometimes use my laptop, or a tablet in the garden in summer, and the signal seems OK for that, and my wife uses her laptop, and has Sky+HD in the front bedroom which does have the poorest signal out all the wireless equipment I use. I may consider getting a new wireless router, does anyone have any good ones they can recommend.

Don't worry, if the wireless does start dropping out again, I'll be back.

Thanks once again for the time taken to address my problem and reply.

Good luck.

#5 bondquest

bondquest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Cancel the previous post.

About 2 minutes after switching off Inssider, the connection dropped. Not only to my laptop, but to every other device. No internet connection was possible.

I switched Inssider back on, and it showed the router was broadcasting a signal.

I re-booted the modem and the router, and the internet connection was restored to all the devices.

I'll keep Inssider switched on for now, but I think it's going to be a question of switching things on and off in different combinations to see what happens.

This has got me beaten I'm afraid. Still I spent a good few hours of Sunday thinking everything was OK.

#6 bondquest

bondquest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I had Virgin Superhub set up in modem mode only, and a Dlink DIR-615 connected as a router (as to be perfectly honest, the wireless capability of the Superhub is rubbish).

I've switched off the DIR-615, and reset the Superhub into wireless mode.

So far everything seems to be working OK (apart from the the signal strength is useless).

Do you think there was something wrong with the DIR-615 which caused the connection to drop.

I might ask Virgin for a new Superhub2, but I've heard they're not much cop either.

Onwards and upwards.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

The Dlink router has certain features you might want to toggle especially the channel modes (auto). There has been good and mix reviews regarding the router product model. Have used Dlink previously and so far no problems except of course in distances or areas. The Superhub according to online specs. seems to have 2.4/5 Ghz features. Might want to share this features for nearby devices on 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz for your computer if you decide to use the Superhub as your dedicated router or without the Dlink as optional access point.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users