Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Mouse Thinks I'm Holding Down the Ctrl Key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hey guys. Not sure whether to call this an OS problem or a hardware problem, but my system is behaving as though the ctrl key is being held at all times, but only for mouse-related shortcuts. If this were a mechanical problem with the keyboard, one would expect that if I typed "a" I would select all text in a field, or typing "p" would bring up a printing dialog, but this is not so. My keyboard behaves as expected; I can still use keyboard related ctrl shortcuts as intended. This only affects the mouse-related ctrl shortcuts, such as selecting multiple items, opening links in new tabs in web browsers, etc. This symptom recurs across different programs. Any input would be appreciated

EDIT: One thing representing an outlier is that the "windows" key doesn't function as expected...

Edited by professorchaos, 25 April 2014 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

G'day, navigate to device manager and uninstall the mouse. Totally.  Then Reboot.

Are you using FireFox browser?....have you installed any new add ons? Have any add ons updated recently to coincide with the "holding ctrl" thingie ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 professorchaos

professorchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Rebooted, problem fixed. Almost a shame, kinda want to know what to do if it happens again

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

Just one of Windows little mysteries....mebbee....?

All good. enjoy your "new" PC !

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 professorchaos

professorchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

This has been happening again, and is quite annoying if I'm in the middle of something and unable to reboot right away (and still annoying either way). Anyone have potential perspectives on this?

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Is this a Logitech Mouse by any chance ...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users