Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Did A "antispyware" Removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:00 AM

[size=2]Used the SmitFraudFix program and the tutorial posted on this site to fix a severe hijack real quick. Kudos to the writers of both. What I mean by severe is that an uninformed victim could easily get panicked. Using Ad-Aware it shows about 40+ nasties in the victims computer. I assume that all the nasties shown are just spoofs, no real spys there at all. I also note that all the nasties listed are world famous ones that the poor victim probably has heard mention of. What I wonder is: AD-Aware (a good program) gets fooled are there other anti-spyware (real ones--not the rogues) programs that would be able to dig a bit deeper and detect that there is no actual spyware but just a persistant Hijacker? Thanks for any inputs re this interesting business :thumbsup: :flowers:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Spybot S&D, A-Squared Anti-Malware, and Ewido Anti-Malware are all free anti-malware programs that are comprehensive, efficient, and excellent. I advise using Spybot S&D and Ewido or A-Squared in conjunction with Ad-Aware SE in order to keep your computer top notch clean.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

I think it is important to understand that there is no absolute concensus among companies about what constitutes adware or spyware. Each company, then, has different criteria; each application will look for, and find, slightly different sets of malware. Using several of these applications thus extends the breadth of the search, and increases your chances of finding more malware.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

Was I correct about the actual spy programs not being there, just a title or whatever that made it appear that the harddrive was infested with many different spyware programs? In my opinion the perpetrators overdid it showing that many different spys. It would be almost impossible to get that much of an infestation that quick. I wonder how many users they were able to dupe? I guess its just like any other scam-one every thousand could make them some money. Thanks all
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#5 Ponkadeedle

Ponkadeedle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hi PC Tools Spyware Doctor has been getting rave reviews.It costs about 25.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

It would be almost impossible to get that much of an infestation that quick.

Not really. I have seen far worse.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users