Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a Wireless USB Adapter as an access point

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Goomba

Goomba

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hello there.

The router in my house is clear across the building from my room, which is on the other side. Because of this, I have problems connecting wireless devices to the internet from my room. For this reason, I decided to use a Linksys wireless USB adapter I have as an access point.

I bridged my LAN connection (which my desktop is connected to the router through) to the wireless adapter and made it an ad hoc network, and it seemed to have worked in turning it into an access point. However, now my PC is trying to use the wireless adapter to connect wirelessly to my router, rather than use its hardwired LAN connection, resulting in barely any signal and the inability to get past a few webpages online.

So basically, this is what I want to do.

I would like to know if it's possible to have the wireless USB adapter to ONLY act as an access point (through using my computer's LAN connection to receive its internet connection to the router) and to NOT act as a wireless card, trying to connect my PC to the router wirelessly. To make my computer use its hardwired LAN connection again, I have to unplug the wireless USB device.

Many thanks,
Goomba.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

I bridged my LAN connection (which my desktop is connected to the router through) to the wireless adapter and made it an ad hoc network, and it seemed to have worked in turning it into an access point.

What steps/process did you use to "bridge" the LAN connection to the wireless adapter? Was it Internet Connection Sharing?

#3 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

I bridged my LAN connection (which my desktop is connected to the router through) to the wireless adapter and made it an ad hoc network, and it seemed to have worked in turning it into an access point.

What steps/process did you use to "bridge" the LAN connection to the wireless adapter? Was it Internet Connection Sharing?

I could explain it, but this video would be much easier: 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Try this:

http://www.oxhow.com/wireless-ad-hoc-network-windows-7-share-internet/

It shows how to setup an ad-hoc wireless network that you then share the Internet to using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (aka ICS).

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

FWIW, there are other options as well. Have you considered/looked at PowerLine adapters?

#6 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

Try this:

http://www.oxhow.com/wireless-ad-hoc-network-windows-7-share-internet/

It shows how to setup an ad-hoc wireless network that you then share the Internet to using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (aka ICS).

Alright, I guess the Network Bridge wasn't necessary. However, I've run into a problem actually connecting to it now. I tested two different devices.

On my first wireless device, a Samsung Galaxy Tab, the access point doesn't show up at all.
On my second wireless device, a Nintendo 3DS, the access point DOES show up, with full bars too. However, when I enter the encryption key and let it perform the network test, it tells me it can't connect to the access point (even though it shows up with full bars and I'm right next to it). 

I noticed there was a step that tells me to Internet Connection Sharing. However, unlike the example pictured, there's a drop-down box titled "Home Networking Connection" which displays a list of networks. No matter which combination I choose, it gives me the error "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled (null)"

Here's the tutorial's window: share-internet-adhoc-internet-share.png
And here's my window: c9e0842ac41dcc4e584dfbd41400005a.png
Thanks again.

#7 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

Alright, ignore the whole "Internet Connection Sharing" stuff in the last post, as I got it all resolved. However, the problem with not being able to connect still persists.

The access point shows up with full bar connection perfectly fine and I can select, but I just can't connect to the access point (the connection test fails during the "Connecting to Access Point" portion, not the "Connecting to Internet" portion"). I'm baffled at how this could possibly be, because it's clear that the wireless device does have the ability to work as an access point, considering it shows up as one.

This is the wireless USB adapter I'm using, by the way; http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/adapters/WUSB100

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

Have you tried it without the WiFi encryption? I realize this not something you would want to do permanently, you should test it without the encryption to see if it will connect.

#9 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Have you tried it without the WiFi encryption? I realize this not something you would want to do permanently, you should test it without the encryption to see if it will connect.

Yes, I've tried it both with and without WiFi encryption.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Can you try using connectify instead of the built-in ad hoc for windows? Just a note though in my experience of using this software is with my laptop on wired and the broadcast for hotspot is with the built-in wireless card. This is just a free option as the software is also Free. The Pro version has additional features though have not used it prior as the free version worked during my setup. This is just a suggestion in addition to smax013 's advice. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

The router in my house is clear across the building from my room, which is on the other side. Because of this, I have problems connecting wireless devices to the internet from my room.

I had the same problem. This is what I did.

The wifi modem was in 1 part of the house and I couldnt connect to it from the other side of the house, As I also had a TP-Link router laying around all i did was go out and buy 25m Meters  Ethernet Cable Plugged it into the yellow out port on the modem  and ran it under the carpet to the other side of the house and plugged it into the in port thats the blue one on the router, Set up a SSID and password ( not the same as on the Modem) and now all my stuff connects.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25m-Meters-Cat6-RJ45-Ethernet-LAN-Gigabit-Network-Cable-10-100-1000-copper-/281022123436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item416e394dac

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

The joy of WiFi devices…and then add to it the joy of ICS.

Does the WiFi adapter work fine if you just use it to try to connect to the WiFi router? I don't believe you specifically stated if that was the case, but I am assuming it is. This would just make sure that there is not some problem with the WiFi adapter itself.

If the WiFi adapter does work normally when trying to connect to the router, then I cannot think of anything else. I have found that ICS in general can be a real pain to deal with at times when working with WiFi as one of the networks. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion on how to get things working.

At this point, my only suggestion would be to consider a WiFi extender instead or maybe PowerLine equipment.

#13 Goomba

Goomba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

The joy of WiFi devices…and then add to it the joy of ICS.

You got that right. I ended up resolving it by downloading Virtual Router Plus, but not before it took me a ton of trial and error to get it working properly. Thanks for the help though!

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:10 AM

You got that right. I ended up resolving it by downloading Virtual Router Plus, but not before it took me a ton of trial and error to get it working properly. Thanks for the help though!

Glad you got it figured out.

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Assuming that you control the router, why don't you put another router by your computer and configure it as an wireless access point (WAP)?  You'll spend a lot less time and effort than trying to get this working.  You could then connect your computer to the second router to maintain your wired connection.

I picked up a ZyXEL NBG418N Wireless N Home Router myself for just this purpose.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users