Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not boot up xp / justs shuts down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chucksue

chucksue

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

I have  HP a1310n computer and it will show the hp page and I can get into the bios. When it tries to start xp the logo page blips and the screen goes black. I bought a new hdd and loaded xp on it and it still acts the same. When I load xp and it tells me to remove the disk and the computer will restart in 45 seconds it never shuts down or restarts. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced? When bad, this can cause many issues.

You also want to make sure your computer on the inside is clean, RAM sticks snug, as well as cables. Use canned compressed air to blow out any dust (preferably outdoors). If it's quite old, sometimes the thermal paste on the CPU will dry out & cause the computer to shut down for safety. To remedy this, first obtain CPU thermal paste (I use & recommend Arctic MX-4), remove the CPU fan/heatsink (refer to your manual for instructions), clean it up good, using alcohol to clean the surface that contacts the CPU & then the CPU itself (removal not needed), making sure that all traces of the old are removed & then allow to dry.

Then place a drop or two of your new paste in the center of your cleaned & dried CPU & with something like a plastic card, spread it thinly across the CPU surface. Avoid getting any on the MB. It doesn't need to be a thick coating, just enough to cover the CPU fairly evenly. Then reinstall the heatsink/fan assembly, making sure to lock it down as was before removal & that the CPU fan wire if removed, is plugged back in.

Fire it up & see what happens. If XP boots & runs, this was likely the issue. If so, allow the computer to run awhile to cure the paste. Some brands, such as Arctic Silver Ceramique-2, requires up to 24 hours of running to fully cure.

Word of caution & safety: When working on the interior of a computer, first unplug the power & also the Ethernet cable, as it has some power, then press & hold the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any leftower power. To protect the sensitive components of the computer, wear a grounding wrist strap during all times that you're working inside of the case. Then remove the CMOS battery,

I bought a new hdd and loaded xp on it and it still acts the same.

By that, do you mean by clean install or from a system image or clone? If it was a clone, then any issues that was present on the other drive will simply transfer to the new & nothing will be fixed.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 chucksue

chucksue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

The OS I installed was from a XP original that I bought years past when I built a computer. I checked the sink paste and it was good. A couple of times when the windows logo came up the picture was really dim. I know the monitor is good because I use it on another computer. Also when it won't shut down on its own I hold the button in for ten seconds the computer will stop and instantly restart.

I have also cleaned the computer  and removed the ram and replaced it.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

It may be configured in the BIOS to restart if there is sudden loss of power (a forced shutdown would be that). That's the best explaination that I can come up with as to restarting by itself, unless the power button is sticking. Here are some other possible answers.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_your_computer_automatically_restart_after_being_turned_off

http://ask-leo.com/why_does_my_computer_randomly_reboot_without_warning.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327341-30-computer-powers-itself-bios-setting-p8z77

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 27 April 2014 - 11:18 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 chucksue

chucksue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

I ran a memtest on the ram and it had no errors. I have a new motherboard coming. Hope that is the problem.

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

you shouldn't have bought a new motherboard just yet, try disabling auto restart

To disable automatic restart press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key, continue to do this until you either reach the advanced boot options which looks like the image below...

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

Select Disable automatic restart on system failure.

#7 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

you shouldn't have bought a new motherboard just yet, try disabling auto restart

To disable automatic restart press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key, continue to do this until you either reach the advanced boot options which looks like the image below...

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

Select Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Bud didn't you read the thread its not even getting past the splash screen how would he get into safe mode?

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Given the circomstances, I can see why a new MB was purchased. The OP stated that there were a prompt to remove the disk & nothing happens.

My hopes are, that given the age of the PC & that a HDD has already been purchased, this works out & that the new MB comes with a new CMOS battery, as the 2032 coin cell batteries that's two for $5 doesn't work in many HP's. One can only throw so much cash into an older PC, before pulling the plug, I just hope that the PSU if fine after all of this. Especially after a MB replacement, if it were bad, it would warrant replacement if needed.

It's easy to stop at a HDD replacement, as these work with other models. OEM MB's doesn't.

Cat

#9 chucksue

chucksue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Mother board fixed the computer. I don't know why the testing of the motherboard didn't detect any problems. thanks a lot.Have a good day.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

You're quite welcome! Be sure to save the old MB, just in case there's anything to salvage from it.

All the Best,

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users