Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Xp On My 250 Gb Maxtor Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vxdesigns

vxdesigns

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi people how are you. I have been having problem installing windows XP on my

" Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 250GB / 7200 / 16MB / ATA-133/ OEM / RoHS Compliant "

harddrive. It has two partitions currently. One is C: and the second is D: I currently have XP on C: and my data and backup files on D: So i recently decided to install fresh xp copy. I restarted the computer inserted the xp CD and the CD initialized by saying press any key to boot from CD. I pressed enter and then a black screen awaits me, after 5 minutes still black screen, after 10 mins still black screen so restarted and tried it again, i thought mayb the cd or my pc froze on me. After restarting still same issue. So i restarted and inserted windows 98 Cd inside and the setup was completed without any problems. It was very weird, so i decided to delete all the paritions and format the whole hard drive as one partition. And luckily this time it worked, xp was installed. Now my questions to you are

1)what could be wrong that i was not able to setup XP when there were 2 partitions. I still have two partitions and would like to re-install xp on C: drive

2)whats the best way to install a OS if i have a

"Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250 / 256MB DDR / PCI / DVI / TV-Out "

video card installed in my pc, should i remove it and then install any os and then within os install the drivers and so on, or installing an OS while the video card is installed in my pc. Is there any difference between using either methods

3) just for kicks what do you think of my harddrive and video card specs ?

Thx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:48 PM

1) what could be wrong that i was not able to setup XP when there were 2 partitions. I still have two partitions and would like to re-install xp on C: drive

There is nothing wrong with having two partitions and trying to install XP. Perhaps the optical drive was having problems reading the XP disc. Try it again. It it works this time then use the utility on the XP install procedure to remove the one large partition, create 2 partitions again and format each of those partitions in NTFS.

2) whats the best way to install a OS if i have a "Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250 / 256MB DDR / PCI / DVI / TV-Out" video card installed in my pc

There is no special procedure to take when installing XP. The install program uses a very generic 640 X 480 VGA driver that will work with any video card. Once XP is installed you should install the proper driver for that board. If XP does not already have that driver in its driver database you will have to install the proper one from the manufacturer of that video card. The board should have come with a driver disc when it was purchased but it can be downloaded from the card manufacturer or from ATI.

3) just for kicks what do you think of my harddrive and video card specs ?

They are both solid components from good companies. The 9250 video card is not intended for gaming, though.

You should consider partitioning your hard drive in up to 4 partitions to help organize your music, documents, installation programs, video, photos, etc. Even with a maximum of 4, not necessarily equal sized partitions, you wont be filling up a partitition soon.

A bit of advice: don't store any valuable files in the My Documents folder or anywhere else on the boot drive. If (when) you decide to reinstall XP all the files on the other partitions can be left alone and will be waiting there for you after the next install is done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users