Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive is about to fail Pop Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shark13

shark13

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hello,

Earlier this week I woke up to a pop up that stated my hard drive was about to fail and that I should back up all my files.  I took it seriously and did so, but after looking around I did see that there are viruses that mimc this pop up.  I contacted Bleeping Computer and had been speaking with a Malware Reponse Team Member by the name of Marius located at

Interestingly enough I have not seen this pop up again for several days (not sure if that is a good thing or not).  When the pop up appears it gives the option to back up , to ignore the message, or to stop the messages from coming all together.  Each and evertime I simply deleted the box by checking the "x" in the upper right hand corner and did not selected the option to stop all further pop ups....yet they have stopped.

Marc 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

What did Marius suggest?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shark13

shark13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

"Delete these files."

"When finished, please start a new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/

Tell the helper that you came from here and no malware was detected."

#4 shark13

shark13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I guess what I am trying to figure out is do I in fact have a hard drive that is about to fail and was lucky enough to get a warning from Windows...or do I have a virus/malware/trojan/etc that is for some reason putting this fake message out?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 shark13

shark13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Below is the snapshot from Speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PLLIr1sUeMdtdvZzzNR0vG8

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

The Speccy snapshot shows the S.M.A.R.T. is indicating a warning.

Please go to Toshiba's website and download their hdd diagnostic tool version 1.12 and run it.

#8 shark13

shark13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I downloaded the software and when I attempted to run it I received the following message.

"Administrator authority required for test execution".

I am the administrator and I am logged in through that account...therefore I am confused.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can run the scan.

#10 shark13

shark13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

When I attempt to boot into safe mode the S.M.A.R.T window pops up first.  It indicates the problem with the hard drive (black background) but seems to get there first before I can enter safe mode.  Is there another way to enter safe mode without pressing F8 during the start process?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

If you get a message regarding the S.M.A.R.T. this usually is bad news regarding the hdd.

You can set the computer to boot into Safe Mode at startup.

Click on the Start orb, then type misconfig in the Search programs and files box.

misconfig will appear above the search box under Apps, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the System Configuration Utility.

Under the General tab click on Advanced.  This will open the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings.

Place a check mark in the box for Enable Startup Menu, then click on OK.

You will receive a message asking if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

This will restart your computer into Safe Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users