Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar/icons Permanently Locked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dx2

dx2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

Hi guys,

I'm running Windows XP Home. Having just restored my system to default settings and removed a trojan I picked up when re-activating my firewall, I've run into another annoying and strange problem.

Basically, neither my Windows taskbar or desktop icons are moving when I attempt to drag them. I've checked all the obvious possibilities, but my icons are not listed as being locked, but are immovable (and indeed, all other icons within folders are immovable too). Also, my taskbar, when I right-click it, does have a tick next to the Lock The Taskbar option, but the option itself is greyed out and the taskbar itself is out of sight.

Before I rebooted, I could see the taskbar and was attempting to put an address bar on it as I usually do, but this wasn't for moving either. It took up all available space on the taskbar.

Now, on Classic Settings, I can just about see the top of the taskbar, while on XP Settings I can't see it at all. I'm having to rely on Alt+Tab and the Windows Key to move around, so any quick help would be gratefully received.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by dx2, 21 May 2006 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

Are you saying that you cannot click in an unused area on the taskbar and remove the "lock the taskbar" tic?

#3 dx2

dx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:45 AM

The option to lock the taskbar wasn't available. The text was there, and it was ticked, but I couldn't select it.

I've just used Norton GoBack to go back a few hours and it's working again, so I'm assuming I've deleted something I shouldn't have while getting rid of that trojan. Everything's fine now though. Thanks anyway.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

Well, you might have reinstalled the trojan though.

Try the following two web based Trojan scans using Internet Explorer as they require Active X to function:

Sygate Trojanscan
http://scan.sygatetech.com/pretrojanscan.html

Windows Security Trojanscan
http://windowsecurity.com/trojanscan
See instructions for it here:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users