Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware driver issues...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 purat111

purat111

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hello,

Over the past couple of days I have been having problems with USB devices. None of them (not even the printer) will work properly, with the error:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
I have tried various solutions on the Internet but they have not worked.
The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

I have tried restarting, reinstalling the driver and troubleshooting. Here is the report:

Devices and Printers
Publisher details
Issues found
USB Mass Storage Device is not working properly
Windows has detected a problem with USB Mass Storage Device.
Detected
View device details
Completed
Problem with PnP devices
There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.
Detected
Issues found
Detection details
USB Mass Storage Device is not working properly
Detected
Windows has detected a problem with USB Mass Storage Device.
Device information
Name: USB Mass Storage Device ID: USB\VID_0781&PID_5567\4C532007160214123010 Error code: 38 View device details
Completed
View details about USB Mass Storage Device and check if there is a solution available.
  Problem with PnP devices
Detected
There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.

Detection details
Collection information Computer Name: ERDERHOME Windows Version:
Architecture:
x64
Time:
25 April 2014 18:10:29
Publisher details
Devices and Printers Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers. Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
Devices and Printers Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers. Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation
Hardware and Devices Find and fix problems with devices and hardware. Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
Windows Network Diagnostics Detects problems with network connectivity. Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
Printer Find and fix problems with printing. Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
USB Troubleshoot problems with a USB device Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows

Help much appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Remove all devices plugged into a USB port and restart the computer to see if the problem persists.

If it doesn't, start adding the devices one at a time followed by rebooting until  you find the device causing this.

If no device is found to be the culprit usd the Fix it at Microsoft Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hello,

Any device I connect is throwing this error. (apart from the wireless keyboard dongle).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Open the Device Manager and click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Expand the tree and uninstall the USB Host Controllers and restart the computer.

This should replace the drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hello,

Thanks, this worked! Turns out I had to shut down and wait a few minutes before starting up again. :)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

:thumbup2:

#7 Jetnomads

Jetnomads

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hi I have a similar problem .. just with one drive.  New drive only used 2 days and wont open on my laptop.  Opens on PC.

Seems to have this message when I look in properties in device manager (using Windows 8.1).

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."

Tried using fixit no help there.. tried updating driver on computer .. just says I have the latest.

Getting to my wits end .. don't know where to turn.  seems to be stuck in memory somehow?

I looked for the "USB Host Controller"  but I am not sure what I should uninstall in here. 

Would it be - Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft). 

Terrified to do the wrong thing and stuff up my brand new laptop.

Any help appreciated.

cheers

#8 Jetnomads

Jetnomads

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

Held down the shift key and turned off the computer and it seems to be working again.... No idea.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

If your problem returns you need to open your own topic.  Post the link below so those reading the topic will be able to find what you originally posted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532274/hardware-driver-issues/?p=3583465

#10 Jetnomads

Jetnomads

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks ..  Will do that.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

When Windows 8 shuts down, it does not shut down in the normal sense as Windows 7 does. It enters a kind of hybrid sleep which allows for a fast boot. Acers use the shift key for a complete shutdown.

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/with-windows-8-off-isnt-really-off/

#12 Jetnomads

Jetnomads

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

When Windows 8 shuts down, it does not shut down in the normal sense as Windows 7 does. It enters a kind of hybrid sleep which allows for a fast boot. Acers use the shift key for a complete shutdown.

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/with-windows-8-off-isnt-really-off/

Sorry dc3, just answering JohnC_21's post.

Thats very interesting to hear.. My problem seemed to disappear when I did shut down with the shift key depressed.     I read somewhere that if you held the shift and restart (which I was actually trying to do, but accidentally hit the wrong thing), it would start the machine in safe mode..  had some directions on what to do then.  

I have an ASUS but seems to do the same thing.    I am glad you pointed this out...  I will remember it if I have the same problem again, I guess that is what fixed it this time.

#13 avi9

avi9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Open the Device Manager and click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Expand the tree and uninstall the USB Host Controllers and restart the computer.

This should replace the drivers.

Thanks Sir, You saved my lots of money..thanks a ton

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

I'm glad it worked for you. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users